Stampede Smoking Brisket

Nikeguy53

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just pick a Brisket today my are to put it on first thing Sunday morning. It right over three pounds. It has been trim already. Do l need to put a Rub on it and put it in the refrigerator over night or just put rub on before l smoke it? Fat side down on the smoker? And everyone say smoke it slow for temp should l set it at? Have a lot of rubs to used anyone have a good one out there because l may have it already.

Just pick a Brisket today my are to put it on first thing Sunday morning. It right over three pounds. It has been trim already. Do l need to put a Rub on it and put it in the refrigerator over night or just put rub on before l smoke it? Fat side down on the smoker? And everyone say smoke it slow for temp should l set it at? Have a lot of rubs to used anyone have a good one out there because l may have it already.
A 3 pound brisket?

Sounds like a brisket flat? I like to use Montreal Seasoning, on the pit at 225 until probes tender. Usually between 195-205 internal.
Have some of that seasoning. And can take a picture of it.

Honestly, when you put the rub on is your choice, as is the fat up/down question.

I prefer to put the rub on when the meat is coming up to room temp on the counter. I'm strictly a fat up guy, because that's the way I've always done it.

I always target 203, but not all briskets will get there.

I don't know if I would be able to cook one that small. I usually go for around 15 to 18/lb. I also like a good smoke flavor so I do mine on my real smoker for around 10 hours and then move it over to the RT700 for another 8 or so hours. I tried one this past weekend on just the RT700 and did it at 180 for about 10 hours and then moved it to around 230 for another 4 or 5 hours. I personally don't go by temp on mine, just when a skewer goes thru it the way I think it should.

For seasoning, I always come back to Rudy's which is a Texas only thing I think. A lot of people just do salt and pepper. Sucklebusters beef rub is pretty good also.

As small as that flat is, I'd get some bark on it for a several hours then put it in a small disposable aluminum pan and cover it with foil so it doesn't dry out before it's probe tender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back