Beef Smoking a thick Porterhouse steak

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Does anyone have a good process for smoking a 2-inch thick Porterhouse steak?

I'd suggest a simple reverse sear approach. Smoke until 15° of done, pull it and heat to the max of your grill, then put it back on for the sear for a few minutes until you hit that desired final temp. Rest for a bit and enjoy.

I think I've seen @BethV post on her experiences in this area. Perhaps she would be kind enough to jump in as well.

Enjoy that hunk of steak!

Here's what I do: On my Stampede--
light to moderate coat of Heffer Dust or your own SPG blend.
I put steaks in freezer for bout half an hour--cold meat is a smoke magnet.
Low temp on the 590 (180⁰) for bout an hour or till 115⁰ or so internal.
Crank up heat to "full" and flip steaks every 5 min. Until you've achieved desired doneness.
Top with a nice resting steak butter ...and... my oh my.

You know, I have tried cooking thick steaks different ways on my Bullseye and my Stampede. All of the above suggestions work very well. Definitely go with a reverse sear.

But my favorite way to cook a steak (other than wagyu), is to sous vide the meat to 120F, and sear in olive oil first, then add cold butter and baste the steak with this screaming hot mixture of fats. Then add your aromatics such as fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs. The cast iron pan has to be extremely hot when you start. I pull it at about 130-134. Perfect medium rare every time. Because it's been sous vide'd, you don't need to really rest it.

I prefer my steaks with a golden brown crust as opposed to grill marks. Just my own personal taste.

All of the above for sure. I just did a few thick T-bones a few weeks back. Salt and pepper them, put on a wire rack on a sheet in the fridge for at least 24 hours, or more if you can. Then 225 for 40 min or so, until about 120ish. Get a CI skillet screaming hot on the side burner of my gasser with clarified butter. A few min per side and it's done. Like BethV mentions above, adding some herbs in with the butter really gives it a kick.

I agree and have tried most of the info posted here. I’m a Porterhouse/T-Bone guy and I like to use butter as a binder and mix ribeye roast seasoning, pepper, and smoked fresh garlic as a rub Then, use Yoshida sauce as a baste/wet age overnight. Flip the steaks a few times to make sure they are soaked on both sides well. Remove from fridge 3-4 hours to get them up to room temp. Set the grill to 225 and cook until IT=115. Pull, wrap in aluminum foil while setting grill temp to 500. Then use grill grates to reverse sear until ~5 degrees below desired temp. Pull, wrap (again) for 15 minutes and serve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back