Smoker tipped over in high winds

swisski

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So, my still newish (bought early last year) 590 somehow fell over during our wind storm today. My wife just called me to tell me about it, she said there seemed to be some minor tears in the cover but didn’t notice much for anything else. I’m on shift till tomorrow morning, so the anticipation of getting home and looking everything over is killing me. Especially since I was going to be using it for some ribs for the game.

To top it all off, it managed to chip and scratch up our brand new hardie siding we just had the whole house resided with. Really just an awesome situation all around.

Question is, has anybody had your smoker tip over? It’s on our concrete patio and stored up against the house. They are built so solid, I’m having trouble fathoming how this even happened with good winds. I’m going to take everything out, vacuum, clean and inspect it all and then fire it up. I take pride in my equipment, so really hoping it’s not dented and damaged up externally. As for the computer/controller, should there be any tests I run or things to try to ensure proper function of the unit? After cleaning it up, I plan on just starting it up like normal and hoping everything works.

If anyone has any experience or advice for this kind of situation, please share and let me know. Particularly if there are any steps I should for sure try to make sure everything is good to go before firing up.

Thanks in advance.

If you are concerned about how everything is working as would suggest going through the test modes to check the auger, igniter and fan. If they are all working fire it up. If you are unsure how to get into test mode just go to YouTube and search ”Rec Tec test mode” (it’s a video from before the name change).

Wow.. I think the above recommendation is good. I have had it happen to my Weber Kettle but that can be expected. It made a complete mess as you can imagine since it had not yet been fully cleaned out from that last use.

I hope all works out. These things are extremely tough. I'd imagine what has been seen on the siding is what it was limited to. Sorry and hope it all works out.

If you are concerned about how everything is working as would suggest going through the test modes to check the auger, igniter and fan. If they are all working fire it up. If you are unsure how to get into test mode just go to YouTube and search ”Rec Tec test mode” (it’s a video from before the name change).
Thank you, I will certainly look that up and run through it. Much appreciated

I recall seeing where someone’s recteq blew off a deck to a drop of a few feet, and recteq replaced the damaged parts (I don’t remember what that was) under warranty.

I recall seeing where someone’s recteq blew off a deck to a drop of a few feet, and recteq replaced the damaged parts (I don’t remember what that was) under warranty.
Well now, I suppose it could always be worse!

I actually didn’t think about the fact it’s still under warranty. Either way, hopefully it isn’t too beat up, as they are pretty badass looking smokers.

Does anyone actually secure their smoker in any way? My set up is in wind tunnel and this is the last thing I would want to happen.

Are you "riding the box" or on the engine ????
I assume you are asking whether or not he has a competition cart, yes? If so, I have the same question. For those who have a competition cart, does it help weight the whole thing down at the base or is it still going to be top-heavy regardless? Trying to figure out whether the competition cart is worth it and damage from high winds is probably concern number one that I have.

I expect that will be a difficult question to answer-I imagine most people either start with the competition cart or stay with the stock legs. FWIW, which is not much, I’ve always had the competition cart on my Bull and it has never blown over in the wind. But then, none of my grills have blown over other than an old Weber Kettle I owned many years ago. But there is no question that the competition cart weighs much more than the stock legs.

My Bull has the Comp base and the smoke box. I've actually used it to anchor a corner of the 10ft square pop up shade in high winds. But high winds here aren't usually more than gusts about 30-40 mph.

"Riding the box" is being stationed on the ambulance and the "engine" is the fire truck. I kind of clued in on this when he said ""I’m on shift till tomorrow morning"".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back