Smoker boxes and tubes

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Greetings fellow pellet heads! If I wanted to jack up the smoke do you suggest those smoker boxes they sell at lowes? if so, do you place on the very bottom ? I have heard of smoker tubes as well. What's the difference between the boxes and tubes? Thanks

I personally use either the tube or tray. Seems to be enough additional smoke for our liking.

I use a tub and place it on the grate between the RTD probe and the meat. That way the smoke is drawn across the meat as it heads to the smoke stack.

I use a tub and place it on the grate between the RTD probe and the meat. That way the smoke is drawn across the meat as it heads to the smoke stack.
Do you have a picture of said tub? I am assuming you have wood chips in it? what I don't understand though is cellulose ignites at 451F so how does just sticking some wood chips in there say at 220 make more smoke ? would one not need to place it on the drip pan or in the bottom on the far side of the combustion box? Santa Clause brought me the grill the week before Christmas and I have used it a lot to cook alll sorts stuff from fish to poultry to brisket. I want to kick up the smoke some.

Different use but same principle. This is from a cheese smoke I did a couple of weeks ago but I place the tube in about the same spot when cooking. I use pellets but I havre used a combination of pellets and wood chips as well. You light the pellets and let them burn for 5-10 minutes then blow out the flame and it smolders on its own. You can get different size tubes for longer burns. Mine goes about 4 hours when full.
F32927EA-DCB1-460C-8889-FFC9167911AD.jpeg

Different use but same principle. This is from a cheese smoke I did a couple of weeks ago but I place the tube in about the same spot when cooking. I use pellets but I havre used a combination of pellets and wood chips as well. You light the pellets and let them burn for 5-10 minutes then blow out the flame and it smolders on its own. You can get different size tubes for longer burns. Mine goes about 4 hours when full.View attachment 8701
Thanks !

If using the tray you can use either pellets or dust. I use dust mostly. If using pellets, I recommend microwaving first. 1 min, allow to cool a few min, then 1 more min. Watch them so they don't ignite

This is the seal alot of people use...I did my lid and had enough leftover to do the hopper lid (for hell of it)..I'll look for pics.
https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-Performance-gasket-smoker-STICK/dp/B01F9FE60K.
Here's the grommet. You have to enlarge the whole and remove the probe door. Dbl check the size you need*..this is just a link for brand. And I'd suggest cutting the probe door and leaving the rivet in possibly.
https://www.amazon.com/Impresa-Prod...ocphy=9015054&hvtargid=pla-491664911709&psc=1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back