Poultry Smoked Thighs with Alabama White Sauce

FastEddie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Trimmed the bone-in chicken thighs.
Seasoned with SPOG blend.
Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours.
Smoked at 225* with 50/50 blend of Plum and Almond for a couple of hours.
Put on my preheated propane Weber to crisp the exterior and bring up to internal temp of 165*.
Brushed on the Alabama White Sauce and let rest a few minutes before serving.

We never tried a white sauce before. We got two thumbs up, and one not so sure about it.
The smoke and the char came through to marry nicely with the sauce.
It's something different to try in the rotation of the usual.

SPOG.jpg
Big Bob.jpg
Crisp.jpg
Sauced.jpg

Trimmed the bone-in chicken thighs.
Seasoned with SPOG blend.
Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours.
Smoked at 225* with 50/50 blend of Plum and Almond for a couple of hours.
Put on my preheated propane Weber to crisp the exterior and bring up to internal temp of 165*.
Brushed on the Alabama White Sauce and let rest a few minutes before serving.

We never tried a white sauce before. We got two thumbs up, and one not so sure about it.
The smoke and the char came through to marry nicely with the sauce.
It's something different to try in the rotation of the usual.
Those look great!

I have to admit Alabama White Sauce is an acquired taste. I had never tried it, but always wanted to. I cobbled together a recipe of

1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls brown mustard
1 teas lemon juice
1 teas prepared horseradish
2 – 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
½ teas salt
½ teas black pepper
¼ teas cayenne pepper

My son in law loved it, my wife hated it, my daughter and I were both,...meh. Maybe I didn't make the world's best recipe, but the hype exceeded what I served....at least for me. Always fun to try new things though.

Full disclosure, if someone has a better idea for a recipe, I'm all ears. I looked at a bunch of things online and then dabbled. As I get older I do now always "write that sh!t down" even to the point of scribbling on my existing recipes to tweak things. What I posted was 100% experimentation. I'm imagining that there is plenty of room for improvement.

I do really want to like Alabama white sauce just because it's so different.

Full disclosure, if someone has a better idea for a recipe, I'm all ears. I looked at a bunch of things online and then dabbled. As I get older I do now always "write that sh!t down" even to the point of scribbling on my existing recipes to tweak things. What I posted was 100% experimentation. I'm imagining that there is plenty of room for improvement.

I do really want to like Alabama white sauce just because it's so different.
Yes, there are recipes online also.
I'm with ya on the "write that sh!t down" plan.
I hate trying to remember stuff.
So much freedom in writing something down and not having to worry about forgetting it.
Unless I forget to write it down :ROFLMAO:

Yes, there are recipes online also.
I'm with ya on the "write that sh!t down" plan.
I hate trying to remember stuff.
So much freedom in writing something down and not having to worry about forgetting it.
Unless I forget to write it down :ROFLMAO:
I have been known to forget where I put what I wrote down, so now digital in a folder of recipes. We do buy the Gibsoms (very old BBQ place in Decatur Al) and my wife has a recipe (damifiknow where it is) 😥 I will say I baste it on while cooking and she keeps a warm pot of it on the stove to serve at the table. My daughters and for that matter the whole family loves it. Maybe it is an acquired taste.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back