Smoked Steelhead (fish tacos later)

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm a week into retirement and I have too much time on my hands. I've been running the Bull about every few days on average.

Today is some steelhead from Costco. It's a big fillet with the skin on, which helps a lot to keep it together when it's done. I thought it was good excuse to use the grill mats that came in my Bull package. I plan on making some smoked steelhead tacos tonight when my wife gets home. I'll post some details on the tacos later. Regardless of how we serve it, we like smoked fish and the salmon/steelhead family is high on our list.

The fillet got some savory rub with a good bit of black pepper and spices. I set the Bull for LO and oiled the grates and mats (it took two mats!). I'll ramp the temperature up as it goes along. Oh, and I'm using a 50/50 mix of LJ cherry and Pit Boss apple.

Pix coming as I go...
P_20200126_135000.jpg

Last edited:
We like our fish tacos with a little something different.

Normally, I would use fresh ingredients. But the mangos in the store were not ripe and I would have to plan this ahead long enough to ripen one or two. So it's frozen mango and I got lazy and got the frozen corn too. I did go old school and bought a fresh poblano and fire roasted it, peeled and diced. I diced the mango and mixed it all together. The combination just works for us.
20200126_182256.jpg
20200126_182322.jpg

That is one terrific-looking meal and I love the color you achieved. Were you pleased with the mats? I've had some in my cart but haven't ordered them, yet.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Fletch, this is the second time I've used the mats. I think they work well. I oiled them and the fish skin prior to putting the fish on. There wasn't the slightest tendency to stick. I would never have thought to buy them, but I figured since I own them, I should try them. I'm starting to be a believer in them. I would not use them for direct, high temps, since they have a non-stick coating, but for smoking temps, I think they work great. For direct high temps I have a rectangular perforated stainless tray. I haven't used it and it's been in the cabinet for years. If my veggies are small, I will skewer them. But I cut my veggies so they are big and don't fall thru the grates. That color on the fish is the cherry.

The "salsa" I made for these was pretty simple, just the diced mango, corn and dieced roasted poblano chili. You can make it your own and add things like a bit of onion (I can't eat much onion), jalapeno pepper, bell pepper. My wife and I don't get too hot n spicy with our food. The red sauce you see is La Victoria taco sauce and the chunky salsa is La Victoria Thick n Chunky salsa medium. Enjoy.

The "salsa" I made for these was pretty simple, just the diced mango, corn and dieced roasted poblano chili. You can make it your own and add things like a bit of onion (I can't eat much onion), jalapeno pepper, bell pepper. My wife and I don't get too hot n spicy with our food. The red sauce you see is La Victoria taco sauce and the chunky salsa is La Victoria Thick n Chunky salsa medium. Enjoy.
Thank you for that. I'll give it a try for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back