Smoked Salmon Tacos El Gringo

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I don't know if I've shared a version of this here or not. So, one more time if I already did. I think you'll like this if you like salmon. I sent this to my classmates from the Harry Soo class, so it may read like that context.

First thing was to make sure all the bones are out as best as possible. I run my hand front to back (head to tail) while lightly pressing, to see if any bones are felt. Anything I find gets pulled with some needle nose pliers.

Then I trim to get it more uniform in thickness. The belly is thin and will cook much faster. Since this is the most flavorful part, it would be a shame to overcook it. So, I cut it off as shown. The tail also cooks faster, so it comes off too. When these two pieces finish cooking before the main part, I take them off the smoker. The belly will finish first, then the tail, then the main piece.
20220119_112406[1].jpg

I put a savory dry rub on salmon, same as red meat. This makes it versatile for serving with about any type of side.
20220119_113132[1].jpg

Oil the grate on the smoker and the skin with vegetable oil of your choice. I sometimes use a grilling mat that looks like screen. I pull it out of the fridge and directly on the smoker at 200F using apple and cherry for about 2 1/2 hours to 150F-ish in the thickest center, which is above the minimum USDA recommendation. Don't forget to oil the grate on the smoker and the skin with vegetable oil of your choice.

20220119_125730[2].jpg

When the belly is finished, it's a treat. Very buttery. It doesn't need any extra flavors for help. Eat it right away. There's not much. Share. Goes well with a good red wine or any good beer.
20220119_130521[2].jpg

We love to make Salmon El Gringo tacos out of the main portion. I make a chopped veggie-fruit medley to go with it instead of the classic pico de gallo or lettuce, cheese, salsa.

My medley
1lb corn cut off the cobb (fresh, frozen, canned)
4 oz diced Anaheim chilis (add/substitute roasted Poblanos, Jalapenos, etc., to suit your taste)
2 cups of chopped mango
1/4 cup red bell pepper

I fry the corn in a skillet with a bit of butter to caramelize it.

20220119_142435[2].jpg

Chill the corn before adding the mango and peppers.
20220120_191254[1].jpg

The filet main piece and the medley makes about 10 of the king size (6") tacos.

Soooo gooood! I like it with a lager, heffeweisen, or a light pale ale.

Subtstitute any ingredient you like. I was intending the flavors of the ingredients to be mild to let the salmon come thru. I intended some sweet, a little spice, and fresh acidic fruityness. But everyone has their preferences.

20220121_173209[1].jpg

The filet main piece and the medley makes about 10 of the king size (6") tacos.
20220121_173212[1].jpg

What is the red sauce that you put on it and what are the taco shells that you are using? This looks delicious.

What is the red sauce that you put on it and what are the taco shells that you are using? This looks delicious.
The red sauce is La Victoria Thick n Chunky Salsa medium heat. Those particular corn tortillas are Gurerro King Size 6" white corn, fried at around 375-400F corn oil in a 90 year old Griswold #6 cast iron pan. But I understand availability of some of the mexican food products can be limited in certain locales. If you can't locate equivalents, try Amazon.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back