Pork Smoked Pork Roast

Burq57

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Last night I decided to try something different with a Pork roast on my Rec Tec Stampede grill. I usually will make a rub, put it on and refrigerate over night then smoke/cook (Low and Slow) the following day. While these always turn out quite well, I never found the flavor I was looking for. The outside was good, and the inner part of the meat is always tender, but a little boring.

This time I decided to inject the Pork. I used a Pork Sirloin Tip Roast that I purchased at Costco (these come in a four pack) with a Smoked Chaabani infused Olive oil that I purchased at my local olive oil store here in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Chaabani peppers are mildly spicy. I put a syringe full (approximately 1.5 to 2 oz) of infused olive oil into the roast making sure I dispersed it as evenly as I could and then put my rub on the top.

I set the Rec Tec to maximum smoke (180 degrees), put in the temperature probe and left it alone for 3 hours. After three hours, I wrapped the meat in aluminum foil, turned up the temperature to 225 and cooked it another 3 hours. I did not add any liquid to the foiled meat. When the temperature hit 160 degrees, I removed the foil, turned the grill up to 325 and cooked it close to 2 more hours until the temperature reached 180 degrees. From here I took it out of the grill and wrapped back in foil and a thick towel to rest for another 45 minutes.

I did not know what to expect but this turned out way better than I thought. It had a nice spicy/smokey taste throughout with a nice smoke ring and a small amount of bark that was like eating candy. I have always liked the Pork roasts cooked low and slow but when I added the infused olive oil, It added a whole new dimension to the taste and tenderness of the meal.

Your target temp of 180; is that so it's sliceable or does it shred because of the amount of time?

I have found with pork roasts it stayed sliceable although I needed my good sharp knife to keep it from starting to shred. I have cooked them at a lower finished temperature which keeps it firmer, but this comes out with much more flavor throughout the meat.

Last night I decided to try something different with a Pork roast on my Rec Tec Stampede grill. I usually will make a rub, put it on and refrigerate over night then smoke/cook (Low and Slow) the following day. While these always turn out quite well, I never found the flavor I was looking for. The outside was good, and the inner part of the meat is always tender, but a little boring.

This time I decided to inject the Pork. I used a Pork Sirloin Tip Roast that I purchased at Costco (these come in a four pack) with a Smoked Chaabani infused Olive oil that I purchased at my local olive oil store here in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Chaabani peppers are mildly spicy. I put a syringe full (approximately 1.5 to 2 oz) of infused olive oil into the roast making sure I dispersed it as evenly as I could and then put my rub on the top.

I set the Rec Tec to maximum smoke (180 degrees), put in the temperature probe and left it alone for 3 hours. After three hours, I wrapped the meat in aluminum foil, turned up the temperature to 225 and cooked it another 3 hours. I did not add any liquid to the foiled meat. When the temperature hit 160 degrees, I removed the foil, turned the grill up to 325 and cooked it close to 2 more hours until the temperature reached 180 degrees. From here I took it out of the grill and wrapped back in foil and a thick towel to rest for another 45 minutes.

I did not know what to expect but this turned out way better than I thought. It had a nice spicy/smokey taste throughout with a nice smoke ring and a small amount of bark that was like eating candy. I have always liked the Pork roasts cooked low and slow but when I added the infused olive oil, It added a whole new dimension to the taste and tenderness of the meal.
This sounds good, how much did it weigh?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back