Stampede Smoked Chuck Question

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I have a ~2 LB chuck roast that I intend to smoke like a brisket. I'm guessing 3-5 hours to get to 200. Is this about right?
Thanks.

I have a ~2 LB chuck roast that I intend to smoke like a brisket. I'm guessing 3-5 hours to get to 200. Is this about right?
Thanks.
I expect you will want to plan for more time. I’ve not smoked a chuck roast like a brisket, but I do smoke 2-3 pound chucks as a Mississippi Pot Roast on a frequent basis. In fact, I have a 2# Wild Fork chuck thawing now for that purpose this weekend. The MPR process is similar-same temp as a brisket, just braised for a good amount of the cook. My logs show the quickest cook was 6-½ hours, the longest was 8 hours. If plan on a longer cook time and yours finishes earlier, it will still rest just fine in a cooler for up to 3-4 hours. Good luck, it’s a fine cut of meat on the smoker.

I expect you will want to plan for more time. I’ve not smoked a chuck roast like a brisket, but I do smoke 2-3 pound chucks as a Mississippi Pot Roast on a frequent basis. In fact, I have a 2# Wild Fork chuck thawing now for that purpose this weekend. The MPR process is similar-same temp as a brisket, just braised for a good amount of the cook. My logs show the quickest cook was 6-½ hours, the longest was 8 hours. If plan on a longer cook time and yours finishes earlier, it will still rest just fine in a cooler for up to 3-4 hours. Good luck, it’s a fine cut of meat on the smoker.
Greg, thanks for the advise. I'll plan on 8 with some cooler ttime.

IMO the best way to smoke those smaller chuck roasts is via the "poor man's burnt ends" method. Lots of recipes online and they're tasty af.

I've been cooking chucks at 250 for a while now and they tend to take 4-5 hours, depending on if I wrap, put in a tin, or keep naked the whole time. I like the way they turn out and it's way less time. Going lower temp will add a few more hours for sure.

Chuck used to be considered a poor man's brisket, however now days it seems like brisket is usually half the cost of chuck. I just don't like having 10lbs of leftovers to deal with most of the time and end up with a chuck.

Chuck used to be considered a poor man's brisket, however now days it seems like brisket is usually half the cost of chuck. I just don't like having 10lbs of leftovers to deal with most of the time and end up with a chuck.
Same here. When my youngest son was still home, he and his friends could wipe out an entire brisket in no time. Now that it’s just the wife and I, cook much, much less brisket and chuck instead.

IMO the best way to smoke those smaller chuck roasts is via the "poor man's burnt ends" method. Lots of recipes online and they're tasty af.
Absolutely!

Same here. When my youngest son was still home, he and his friends could wipe out an entire brisket in no time. Now that it’s just the wife and I, cook much, much less brisket and chuck instead.
Greg, try slicing and freezing brisket in meal size packs. It makes for great "emergency" freezer finds.

Greg, try slicing and freezing brisket in meal size packs. It makes for great "emergency" freezer finds.
Thanks! I bought a vacuum sealer primarily for doing just that (and now many other sealing tasks) and it has helped. The only challenge with that strategy is that if I’m eating leftovers out of my freezer, I’m not getting as much time with my smoker! 😂

Seriously though, there is one obstacle that presents a challenge. My wife just does not enjoy the fat in the point, no matter how well it has rendered. So that makes more work to either trim out all the fat seam in the point before smoking, or trying to slice and package equal amounts of point and flat for freezing. Not an insurmountable problem, but it was more fun when the guys just ate it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back