Bull Smoked chicken thighs

NBK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
In a salt and brown sugar brine (3 hours). Dry off and spray with olive oil and use your favorite sweet rub. 3 hours on smoke (180°). Flip halfway through. Then under the broiler for a reverse sear. Mop with a sauce of your choice (I like vinegar based for chicken).

There were no complaints.

20220507_174711.jpg
20220507_175017.jpg
20220507_180833.jpg
20220507_184127.jpg
20220507_184455.jpg

I had a package of Costco bone in chicken thighs and this link stirred me to action.

We like Zahtar (Za'atar) on the smoked thighs.

Started out at Low on the 590 for an hour with a smoke tube to add some smoke, then up to 350 for about another hour (ramp up time included). Pulled them off at about 165F. Mighty fine!!
Smoked chicken thighs.jpg

I smoked some thighs last week and the skin was so thick and rubbery that we all had to remove it and that's my favorite part. Followed Traeger's instructions on my 590. I did get some flare ups, but temp and time weren't too far off. Any clue what went wrong?

I smoked some thighs last week and the skin was so thick and rubbery that we all had to remove it and that's my favorite part. Followed Traeger's instructions on my 590. I did get some flare ups, but temp and time weren't too far off. Any clue what went wrong?
What temp were you cooking at? Chicken is no friend to low temps - skin comes out rubbery.

275 is the lowest you should start out at for poultry. I put thighs on at 400 and pull when internal around 195. Super crispy skin and very moist inside.

275 is the lowest you should start out at for poultry. I put thighs on at 400 and pull when internal around 195. Super crispy skin and very moist inside.
I was thinking of trying that…but how about the smoke flavor profile at that temp? I would think it’s not as prominent.

I was thinking of trying that…but how about the smoke flavor profile at that temp? I would think it’s not as prominent.
You can always start at lower temperature to get your smoke and then crank up the heat to deal with the skin issues. 275 will still give you some smoke, but as you mentioned the smoke decreases as the temperature increases.

I've done chicken wings at 180 for 20 - 30 minutes before deep frying.

I've done whole chickens at 225 for an hour or so (I don't have my notes in front of me) and then roast at 350 - 375 for crisp skin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back