Bull Smoked a 7.5 lb Brisket Today

ABUNC

From Winston-Salem, NC
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
'Kept it simple. Salt & pepper rub. Average Bull temp was 220 degrees for 5 hours to get to 160 internal temp on the brisket. I didn't have butcher's paper so I double wrapped the brisket in aluminum foil and pulled the Texas Crutch (put brisket in the oven at avg temp of 240). Took another 5 hours to get to 201 internal temp. Poured off the juice, wrapped it in blankets and put in a cooler. Rested for 2.5 hours. Turned out great! Love my new RT-700!

Attachments

• 20210403_180340 1.jpg
    20210403_180340 1.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 20210403_180902 1.jpg
    20210403_180902 1.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
That looks amazing, a Brisket is on the list.
One question, why did you pull and back in oven instead of RT?
Also, I love wrapping it up in a blanket in cooler. I will have to go get my own blankets as my wife would kill me! 😂

'Kept it simple. Salt & pepper rub. Average Bull temp was 220 degrees for 5 hours to get to 160 internal temp on the brisket. I didn't have butcher's paper so I double wrapped the brisket in aluminum foil and pulled the Texas Crutch (put brisket in the oven at avg temp of 240). Took another 5 hours to get to 201 internal temp. Poured off the juice, wrapped it in blankets and put in a cooler. Rested for 2.5 hours. Turned out great! Love my new RT-700!

View attachment 9326View attachment 9327
Looks great!

That looks amazing, a Brisket is on the list.
One question, why did you pull and back in oven instead of RT?
Also, I love wrapping it up in a blanket in cooler. I will have to go get my own blankets as my wife would kill me!

Pops: Thanks for your kind words. After 5 hours on the RT-700, the brisket was smoked enough (in my opinion). It then needed a constant low temp to get it up to 200-203. Returning it to the grill (double wrapped) or to an oven at 240 degrees is a matter of preference, I guess. In my case, I put it on the grill at 5:30am and it was rested & ready for dinner at 6pm. This was my first brisket so I did a fair amount of reading about it and used sort of a mixed cooking method that seemed to work for me!

PS: Not sure why I said "blankets"...I actually used towels to wrap it.

If you put a temp probe in your oven you will find that your Bull keeps temps better then your oven. I would recommend keeping it in the Bull for the entire cook. Try it and let us know.

If you put a temp probe in your oven you will find that your Bull keeps temps better then your oven. I would recommend keeping it in the Bull for the entire cook. Try it and let us know.
The Bull is more constant than my oven...

That looks great!

OK went to Costco this weekend and wandered around the meat section like an old man or zombie! Not sure what to cook next, but leaning toward brisket, althought they had pork belly, ribs, chicken...so many choices....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back