Smoke Tube Placement

Headrush

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello,

Where is everyone placing their smoke tubes for optimum smoke absorption into the meat?

Thanks!

The right side of the grill is typically hotter, based on what many have experienced. Having something burning on the left side where the temp probe is could cause heat issues I think. So I would keep it toward the right if I were to use one. That really is not completely aimed at more smoke absorption, but more to not cause any interference with heat. But if it is on the hotter side, it is more likely to stay smoldering and therefore more smoke. Just my 2 cents... Welcome to the group!

Definitely on the right side or back. If too clad to the probe it will throw off readings. I've done it under the grates in the barrel, too. Easiest on the top back or right. ??

I usually put mine on the left, away from the edge when possible. I figure the smoke has to travel past the food to reach the exhaust. I'd have to test with a remote probe to see if it's throwing off the main RTD sensor. Didn't think it threw off enough heat to cause concern.

Thanks all. Was thinking on the front since the vents are on the back, in theory, it would have to travel over the meat to exit anyway. Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th!

I place mine left front, right by the hole opening for the probe wires. I Leave the opening open for a little oxygen.

I place mine left front, right by the hole opening for the probe wires. I Leave the opening open for a little oxygen.
That's the key...same for me. I've placed mine all over and without a touch of air they'll slowly go out.

Get a Heavy D from Smoke Daddy. Much better then a smoke tube. It pretty much gives you stick burner smoke in your pellet grill.

Hello,

Where is everyone placing their smoke tubes for optimum smoke absorption into the meat?

Thanks!
Used the 1-foot tube and the 6-inch tube all over my 680 and never had a problem with temp. control. But that said I have found that the smoke mode on the 680 does better than the tubes without the work. I believe the rule is the first 30 min.s are where the smoke does it's thing. But I'm more of a mild smoke flavor cook. Many people want the heavy smoke flavor thus the smoke sticks and that's fine also. Smok'em if ya gott'em .

Hi All I haven't tasted any more smoke flavor with the tube? As you can see the tube was smoking like crazy.
Dan
IMG_20201025_113237842.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back