Smoke from hopper when shutting down

Redraider3403

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Pretty consistently I see white smoke coming from my hopper when shutting the grill down. Anyone else seeing this with the 1070? This is with Costco pellets, wondering if that might be a problem?

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
What temps are you shutting down at? You might need to bring it down to like 250 or less and run for a bit before shutting off. Lots of threads on this. Do a search.

Redraider3403

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Today I shut down after running at 230 for about 15 mins. This was after running at 400 for about an hour.

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
Today I shut down after running at 230 for about 15 mins. This was after running at 400 for about an hour.

That should have done it.. maybe you are onto something with the pellets. Maybe try another brand and see what happens or give support a ring.

SmokeOCD

I still don't have this issue. I did a pizza at 425 on grillgrates today- then hit the power button when done.
Keeping the hopper topped off is my theory as to why I don't have this issue.
Running the recteq pellets right now. Before that they were pitboss.

goldmanaz

Ran mine at high temps last night for several hours doing pizza and did not see white smoke coming from the hopper. I stepped it down quite a bit over a period of time as well. I am also using the RT pellets and my bin was still pretty full.

SmokeOCD

Finally! Doing Beef Short Ribs - tried out the Lo setting for the first time, there's more smoke in the hopper than in the grill. Didn't hurt anything, hopper was full of pellets - just finally saw this thing happen.
Anyway - up to 225, all smoke cleared out just like it usually is for me. Couple hours to go on the Ribs.

RezMonkeigh

First burn went ok. First cook, some chicken thighs and all of a sudden I see smoke coming from the pellet Hopper. I kinda freaked, since this was a new grill. Turned off, started scooping pellets out. Then it stopped.

I did see a little smoke coming out again on a future cook. But by the time I opened to look, it stopped. 3+ more cooks and not seen again. Yet.

Starting out, only have the recteq pellets in.

Mozekian

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
  3. RT-1250
It’s burn back and plenty of threads on this.

My opinion, it’s just something these grills get. RecTeq will tell you it’s

1)dirty fire pot
2) bad pellets
3) excess dust

I think it’s all BULL from them, it’s their grill. I’m used to it. It’s rare now that I don’t use pellets from warehouse big box stores that sit for a while, but still see the burn back smoke occasionally

okie

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Pretty consistently I see white smoke coming from my hopper when shutting the grill down. Anyone else seeing this with the 1070? This is with Costco pellets, wondering if that might be a problem?
I think that the smoke goes to those areas of least resistance that are closest to the fire pot. I think that the hopper lid being unsealed, allows for the updraft. If there was some way to correct that, it might stop that. I have ordered a 1070 and will look into that. As long as this does not cause hopper fires it may not be a problem. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.