Smoke Daddy The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was wanting to know. The reason I was thinking about this one is because I tried using the smoke tube to help introduce a little more smoke but once I would close the lid it would quit smoking within a few minutes. I am about to just start working part time and will have a little more time on my hands so I may go ahead and try the heavy-d just to see how it does. I have used about every type of smoker over the years and I do agree the the pellet grill is such a breeze to use. I now have 3 other friends that have RT-700 since I bought mine and they absolutely love it.
Again, thanks for the information.

When I use a smoke tube, I light with a propane torch and let it burn with a large flame (maybe 4-6") while holding it vertically. After a few minutes, I lay it on the main grate, over the back of the drip tray, which seems to get more draft from the burn pot fan. I've never had a tube of pellets fizzle out. I've used several different types of pellets. Always got lots of smoke.

I had heard from different forums that the there was potential for flare ups. They indicated that wrapping the wood in foil and puncturing holes in the foil would help to avoid this. I used this method for the first time today, and it worked like a charm. I used large chunks of Pecan wood. Cooked a brisket for 10 hours. All that was left of the wood was white ash.👍 Thank you this thread helped a great deal.
That might of been me or something else I talked to. It does work.

But I will say snook's idea of the firebricks was genius. Because the grill will not get as high with it sitting lower. Great idea!

I have trouble getting the wood to light even at 325 with my 700 and wood ordered directly from smoke daddy... Maybe too much moisture?

I’ve tried that. When I crank it the whole log/chunk ignites and then I’m dealing with crazy temp spikes!

I’ve tried that. When I crank it the whole log/chunk ignites and then I’m dealing with crazy temp spikes!
That’s when they recommend that you may need to prop the grill door open for a bit to lower temps. It’s a finicky process, which is why I stopped using it that way I still have it in my RT-700 as the diffuser, but I don’t put wood chunks in it anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back