Smoke coming out of hopper, anyone have any info?

Sloppedup

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Ok, to reiterate, smoke generated has started to come out of the pellet hopper. Temp is solid but smoke is going out the wrong end....any help? Thanks.....edit middle of a cook when I discovered the prob

Ok, to reiterate, smoke generated has started to come out of the pellet hopper. Temp is solid but smoke is going out the wrong end....any help? Thanks.....edit middle of a cook when I discovered the prob
I had this happen once and I would recommend cleaning the fire pot before the next cook. I also used some compressed air using a extended blow gun to clean out the air channel through the fire pot holes, I was amazed how much dust and ash came out at the fan area after almost a year of usage. After doing this the hopper smoke never happen again. I was also using cheap Pit Boss Classic Blend that took forever to build temperature and would smolder after the grill was shut off even when set to Lo and allowed to cool before shutting it off.

Last edited:

I had this happen once and I would recommend cleaning the fire pot before the next cook. I also use compressed air using a extended blow gun to clean out the air channel through the fire pot holes, I was amazed how much dust and ash came out at the fan area after almost a year of usage. After doing this the hopper smoke never happen again. I was also using cheap Pit Boss Classic Blend that took forever to build temperature and would smolder after the grill was shut off even when set to Lo and allowed to cool before shutting it off.
your advice was right on. rectec actually returned an unanswered call and told me in kind words that i wasn't maintaining the fire pot . they were right, the pot was too sooty/ashy. They recommend cleaning it out every three cooks or so. Thanks for you input and correct advice....i appreciate your interest

@Sloppedup I agree with RecTec customer support, in fact I go a step further and clean my Rec Tec Rt-700 after almost every cook.

It's super quick to do and easy. If you don't already have one I would suggest picking up a small shop vac to be used when cleaning the grill. This will make very short work of cleaning up all the ash in the fire pit and bottom of the pellet grill.

I've made it a habit of hitting the fire pot and the bottom with the mini vac (only for the pellet grill} before each use. Also, check the bottom of the hopper for excessive dust.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back