Bull Smoke Box Thermometer Issues

aphelps

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I recently bought a smoke box for my new RT-700. When I opened the box it came in, I found the thermometer probes like the attached picture and they were both reading around 300. This can't be right. Is there any way I can fix these or should I just call Rec Teq?
20201031_161701.png

Please look it over carefully, it may not be just the probes. I ordered a smokebox in mid-September when they were back in stock. Received it on September 29th. And here is what I experienced. Not only were the grates thrashing around the inside and damaged the probes, but they slammed so bad that it day lighted the seal of the box at the top from a huge dent outwards. This boils down to a very poor packing process. And like yours, mine was pretty scratched up inside because of the grates. I told Recteq to have someone look at that in shipping. Fortunately the new box they sent out was undamaged, but absolutely no change in packing. I lucked out. They didn't want me to send back the damaged box from the western US so guess what, I now have a cool box to store my BBQ tools. :)

Attachments

• DaylightCompromisedSeal.JPG
    DaylightCompromisedSeal.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
  • InsideOutDent.JPG
    InsideOutDent.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 69
  • LowerThermometer.JPG
    LowerThermometer.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • LowerThermometerInside.JPG
    LowerThermometerInside.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • RemovedBentThermometers.JPG
    RemovedBentThermometers.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • UpperThermometer.JPG
    UpperThermometer.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I received a smokebox for Christmas. First one came in with a dent in the top corner, would have not been an issue, but the seam separated and left a decent hole. RT quickly got a replacement sent out, but the probes arrived in similar conditions to nhraj's above pictures. I thought easy fix and swap them out with the original, but the threaded portion of the temp gauge discounted from the face of the gauge and now just spins with the nut.

Anyone have a similar issue and able to separate the two parts successfully? I can obviously tear the two halves apart, but am waiting on a reply from RT before do so.

Attachments

• tempImageFDJ4ju.png
    tempImageFDJ4ju.png
    12 MB · Views: 56
I received a smokebox for Christmas. First one came in with a dent in the top corner, would have not been an issue, but the seam separated and left a decent hole. RT quickly got a replacement sent out, but the probes arrived in similar conditions to nhraj's above pictures. I thought easy fix and swap them out with the original, but the threaded portion of the temp gauge discounted from the face of the gauge and now just spins with the nut.

Anyone have a similar issue and able to separate the two parts successfully? I can obviously tear the two halves apart, but am waiting on a reply from RT before do so.
Yes - same issue when I got mine for Christmas. Lower probe broken but Rec Teq sent a new one out and I replaced it today, First used wire cutter to separate the probe from back of the nut. Had to use pliers to bend and twist the nut on inside of door to break it loose so could remove the temp gauge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back