Smart-home Tech & Rec Tec

dsandersus

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm wondering if RT has contemplated adding smarthome compatibility by adding code to work with devices such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, etc.

It's the techie in me that would love to see this feature... Something about watching TV and saying "Hey Echo, how's the brisket coming along" and having it reply "Hello David, according to your Rec Tec smoker, your brisket is at an internal temperature of 165 deg". and holding strong, you may want to consider wrapping to get past the stall". :)

I have had my Bull for about a month or so and definitely want to hook it up to my Google home devices.

I have been doing some research and I have found a repo on Github with some details which came from this post on Facebook by Nicholas Andrade. He was hooking it up to Alexa. I haven't reached out to him yet, but I will and also contact Rec Tec to see what I can find out about an API.

If anyone has more information I would love to hear.

I've been a software dev for about 15 years and have my own home automation setup I'd like to incorporate the RecTec data into. I'm totally willing to contribute anything back that I come up with, but need a little help on initially connecting to the grill. I have been through the github and facebook posts @LowTide76 linked above but cannot get them to work (I don't get status back from the python scripts). I also wiresharked the data and it appears the data is encrypted or something.

Last edited:
They can’t even get their alarms working for everyone, so I doubt you’ll see this kind of integration unless it is third party/open source.

I'm wondering if RT has contemplated adding smarthome compatibility by adding code to work with devices such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, etc.

It's the techie in me that would love to see this feature... Something about watching TV and saying "Hey Echo, how's the brisket coming along" and having it reply "Hello David, according to your Rec Tec smoker, your brisket is at an internal temperature of 165 deg". and holding strong, you may want to consider wrapping to get past the stall". :)
I have my RT-700 on an extension cord plugged into a outdoor smart plug and google assistant found it and at least turns it on. But now can’t see the smart plug. Can’t figure this out.
Any help out there??

I have my RT-700 on an extension cord plugged into a outdoor smart plug and google assistant found it and at least turns it on. But now can’t see the smart plug. Can’t figure this out.
Any help out there??
My first guess is that the smart plug isn't picking up the Wi-Fi. Could be in a location without strong signal. Devices have different radios & antennas, so it's possible to have 2 devices in the same location and only 1 of them be able to connect.

I'd also suggest trying the smart plug maker's native app, and see if it connects to the device. Google Assistant is handy, but for troubleshooting I'd cut out the middleman. The native app might also let you drill in to see the signal strength the device is getting.

Any help out there??
Is the smart plug 2.4 like the grill?

My first guess is that the smart plug isn't picking up the Wi-Fi. Could be in a location without strong signal. Devices have different radios & antennas, so it's possible to have 2 devices in the same location and only 1 of them be able to connect.

I'd also suggest trying the smart plug maker's native app, and see if it connects to the device. Google Assistant is handy, but for troubleshooting I'd cut out the middleman. The native app might also let you drill in to see the signal strength the device is getting.
Got google assistant to work on just the plug and use the Bull app to start the grill.

Is the smart plug 2.4 like the grill?
Plug is 2.4 I just unplugged it for a while cleared it out and was able to plug the extension cord in and run it to turn on and off the power to the extension cord and my lights I have hooked up.
Once the power is on to everything I just use the recteq app for my Bull and all is good. When it’s over I can ask Google assistant to shut everything down which cuts the power to everything!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back