Pork Sliced Butt

Bytor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
So, I like pulled pork, but I have been making it off and on now for quite some time. I decided to try making it for sliced pork steaks. After looking around various sites and seeing a Malcom video on de-boning the butt, I decided to take the task on. I got an 8.25 lb Smithfield butt that looked really nice.

PP1.jpg

Not very much fat and or fat cap to have to trim away. Removing the blade wasn't all that bad and I didn't leave very much meat left on the bone (1st time attempt). With the blade removed, I was able to apply some SPG to the cavity, maybe this will assist in holding things together, as the salt breaks down the protein. I want to keep the flavor neutral, at least during this phase, so nothing but a mustard rub and SPG. I ended up not having much string to work with, but was too lazy to go out and get more.

PP2.jpg

PP3.jpg

PP5.jpg

The plan is to toss on the RT at 6am tomorrow at 225. Then at the stall, instead of wrapping with paper, I will put in a foil container with some apple juice and cook out to an IT of around 190ish. I'm then going to inject with the reserved liquid in the tin, wrap up tight inside a cooking bag and put in the fridge overnight. Then on Friday, I am hoping to be able to cut into 3/4" or so steaks, apply some rub and either toss on my gasser with grill grates, back on the RT at high temp, or on the Blackstone. I guess it depends on how well the slices hold up at that point.

I'm open to any suggestions from anyone that may have done something similar. Otherwise more postings and photos to come tomorrow.

What time do we show up to help out chowing down that bad boy? I'll bring the beer! ;)

Well, day two...

Put it in at 7:30 am at 225 and at 2pm, with IT's staying in the lower 160's for a while, I ended up putting it in a tin with a cup of apple juice. It had a really nice bark going on it.

Butt 4-1b.jpg

At just a little before 4pm, IT's were ranging from 188-193, so it was time to take out of the tin and let it rest for a while.

Butt 4-1a.jpg

It seems like 1 cup of apple juice turned into 2.5 cups of flavorful stock. That little piece on the left side was calling my name, so I had to cut it off and it was great.

Butt 4-1.jpg

On the board it went for about an hour to cool down, then I placed in a cooking bag, injected with some of the stock, and in the fridge it went until tomorrow. The saga continues....

@sdynak - I had to start drinking with out you ;)

So, this did not disappoint at all.

Butt 4-2.jpg

The only thing I wish I would have done, was slice the cuts thicker. They were probably just a tad under 1/2". I kept the broth from the cook in the fridge, over night and it had a nice layer of fat on the top of the container. I used this pork fat on both sides of the steaks and spread throughout. I wanted this to help my rub adhere better and also in preventing grate sticking.

Butt 4-2a.jpg

I tossed these bad boys on my Napoleon with grill grates for a few minutes per side. I also tossed some Hickory pellets on the grates too.

Butt 4-2b.jpg

The final results were great. For those wanting something different than pulled pork, I would highly recommend this. The nice thing with these was that they were already cooked and just needed seared on the grill. My family was shocked that dinner was actually ready when I originally said it was going to be. You all know what I mean......

Between the little added pork fat and the higher sugar content in my rub that I used, they all had a slight crispness to them, both on the bark and meat. I ran out of meat for the first round and had to make more all over again. All and all, these turned out great and will be making these again. Heck, I still have about 5 lbs of butt left over, so why not. However, I see shredded pork, hash and eggs happening in the morning.

They look amazing.. I bet they tasted even better! Very nice (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back