Bull Side-shelf to replace handle?

Chris2pherw

Well helllooo everyone! I’m super pumped to be a new Bull owner (coming in 2 days), and new to RecTec. I decided on Rec Tec 2 years ago, but due to cost went with a WSM at the time. Well, 2 years later and 5 days ago I said screw it and pulled the trigger.
Anyhoo, here’s my question: I did a brief search for any foldable side shelf that could potentially replace the handle under the smoke stack on the rt-700, no luck though. Anyone else out there have the same idea and have found one that fits? I’d use another side shelf more than a handle. Thanks folks!
Chris

@Chris2pherw welcome to RecTecForum and to the Rec Tec family!

Regarding your question for a side shelf - I haven't seen anyone make one yet but I actually like the idea. Having more shelf space would be nice. In fact that reminds me, I need to order the front shelf for my RecTec Bull this spring.

Hi Chris. Welcome to the pellet world and specifically RT. Did you order the front shelf for your Bull? I have the 680 with the front shelf, and between the front shelf, the side shelf opposite the handle, and the surface of the hopper lid, I have always had enough shelf space during my cooks. That last day before your Bull is delivered is the hardest, but once you have that cooker, you are going to love it! I hope you share your cooks with all going forward. I just recently joined the RT forum and plan to share as I go. Enjoy your Bull!

@cookingjnj you bring up a good point about the hopper lid. I've used that several times to put things like seasoning and plates.

I don’t have a folding shelf but used a side shelf from a tool box.

Thanks for your replies, all. I do have the front shelf, and I’m willing to bet I don’t even need that extra side shelf. I was just curious, as undoubtedly I would use another side shelf more than a handle. How about this then: a side handle with 2 built-in cup holders? Now we’re talkin’.....

Thanks for your replies, all. I do have the front shelf, and I’m willing to bet I don’t even need that extra side shelf. I was just curious, as undoubtedly I would use another side shelf more than a handle. How about this then: a side handle with 2 built-in cup holders? Now we’re talkin’.....
I made this front one for my other smoker. It does fold down, I'll make another for the Bull side..

Attachments

• 20190121_154540.jpg
    20190121_154540.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
I just got my Bull delivered yesterday and was also pondering getting used to cooking with my first pellet grill logistically. I did get the front shelf, so I am hoping that, between it, the left shelf and hopper lid, I won't have any issues finding a place to set stuff. One thing I did begin to worry about was storage space. Because of the concerns I heard about the stock wheels, and some other factors, I went with the competition cart. It's hitting me that there's no place to store things. If I had been on my game, I would have realized and thought to put the bottom shelf that comes with the legs inside competition cart because there is sort of a place for it to sit in the bottom with a means of access from the sides.

But anyway, very excited to try the first cook this evening!

Great looking Bull @Shebeast. I guess that's another advantage of doing the wheel mod over the comp cart - you still retain your storage space.

That said I don't really use that space on my Rec Tec Bull and am actually looking at adding a small cart, maybe even a small toolcheck with a butcher board top or something similar to the back deck.

Fun to see innovation, both in product improvement and cooking approaches/recipes.

My has been a longhorn since inception. I got the new leg config and without any instructions
I figured it was up to me!
I think that Rec Tec should make the handles swivel to lock position like the smoke box.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back