Trailblazer Shutdown Cycle

Golden Gopher

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I'm new to Rec Tec so just did the initial burn last night. When I shut down, the fan ran for 5 minutes and then the auger ran. Is it normal for the auger to run after being shut down?

Yes, that is by design. Some of us aren't crazy about it but that's how Rec-Tec wants it to operate and they're the experts, so they earned the right to do it how they feel it should be. I pull the power cord seconds before the auger would spin.

Thanks for the reply. I found it rather odd. I've always bought Traegers and they shut off after the shutdown cycle is done. I'll be unplugging as well as it doesn't make much sense. Happy smoking!

RT's choice to feed pellets during shutdown is to prime for the next cook. Similar to the instructions to add a handful of pellets for the initial burn-in. As mentioned, some of us would rather see that moved to the startup sequence. Adding pellets to a firepot that hasn't cooled yet can cause some smoldering, even though the grill is "off".

This 5 minute shut down operation and auger running after your experiencing it totally normal, it's to cool down the grill and purge any burning pellets out of the auger tube. You will find the grill also adds a pretty good amount of pellets to the burn pot on start up before the igniter starts.

This 5 minute shut down operation and auger running after your experiencing it totally normal, it's to cool down the grill and purge any burning pellets out of the auger tube. You will find the grill also adds a pretty good amount of pellets to the burn pot on start up before the igniter starts.
Do you leave the lid up during the shutdown?

No my lid is always closed on shut down. I take the food off and I try to remember to set the grills temperature to LO before opening the lid to remove the food at the end of a cook and hitting the off button.
Do you scrape the grates right after you remove food to get the big stuff off while they are warm?

Do you scrape the grates right after you remove food to get the big stuff off while they are warm?
No I'm too hungry to worry about it at that time. It's get's done just before the next cook on the warm up unless the food is going into a cooler to keep it warm and finish, then I might go out and clean the grill grates off while there still warm.

No I'm too hungry to worry about it at that time. It's get's done just before the next cook on the warm up unless the food is going into a cooler to keep it warm and finish, then I might go out and clean the grill grates off while it's still warm.
LOL, OK. The wife takes the food and finishes up things in the kitchen while the food rest up some. She tells me to do some grill cleanup and grab another beer. LOL

Last edited:
I have been turning my grill ro LO for a few minutes before shutdown also. Don't know if this "should" be SOP but seems logical.
Any time the grills lid is opened the pit temperature will drop and the controller will signal the auger to add more pellets to try to maintain the set pit temperature, doing what you said should be SOP and is like you said is very logical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back