Show us what you're cooking...

So I was speaking with my Cardiologist and he was worried because I lost some weight from the last visit. Asking me if everything was ok and I was eating enough. Told him sure, I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a mid-night snack. He was also worried my cholesterol was up 5 points above the national average of men 25 to 30 which confused me because I am 53. Told him I use a lot of butter when cooking and like white bread. He suggested I cut back on the butter some and eat more grains like 100% wheat bread.

Since everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I decided to modify my recipe. Thinking how can I fry my eggs and grill my toast without butter. Then it came to me like a message from God, use bacon drippings. So not wanting to run out of drippings from my normal 4-5 slices of bacon, felt I needed to step up my game plan to a whole lb. Frying the eggs and dipping the wheat bread in the bacon drippings to toast on the griddle.

Thanks Doc for helping prove that a heart healthy breakfast can still taste good !! And a double serving size of bacon to top it off.

IMAG0021.jpg
IMAG0023.jpg

My Cardiologist doubled my script without question.. said he knows I'm not out eating fried food every day and some folks just have a harder time. Dear lord please don't let him find me on here with my posts 😁 🙏 .

Seeing my doctor tomorrow...y'all wish me luck!

Tonight's dinner was Fajitas! Courtesy of my Weber gas grill. Marinated some skirt steak and chopped some yellow and orange bell peppers along with some onions. Use the side burner with a cast iron skillet for the veggies and put the skirt steak on the grill at 550° served with homemade Mexican rice and beans along with all the other fajita sides.

Fajita Marinade Recipe (Marinate 4 to 8 hours)
Half cup canola oil
Half cup soy sauce
Half cup packed brown sugar
4 oz of fresh pineapple juice
Juice of six limes
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tap ground cumin
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

Screenshot_20210418-183207~2.png
Screenshot_20210418-182814~2.png
Screenshot_20210418-182844~2.png
Screenshot_20210418-182832~2.png

Last edited:
Tonight's dinner was Fajitas! Courtesy of my Weber gas grill. Marinated some skirt steak and chopped some yellow and orange bell peppers along with some onions. Use the side burner with a cast iron skillet for the veggies and through the skirt steak on the grill at 550° served with home and Mexican rice and beans along with all the other fajita sides.

Half cup canola oil
Half cup soy sauce
Juice of six limes
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tap ground cumin

View attachment 9664View attachment 9666View attachment 9667View attachment 9668

Looks amazing!

Tonight's dinner was Fajitas! Courtesy of my Weber gas grill. Marinated some skirt steak and chopped some yellow and orange bell peppers along with some onions. Use the side burner with a cast iron skillet for the veggies and put the skirt steak on the grill at 550° served with homemade Mexican rice and beans along with all the other fajita sides.

Half cup canola oil
Half cup soy sauce
Juice of six limes
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tap ground cumin

View attachment 9664View attachment 9666View attachment 9667View attachment 9668
Nice work!

I bought a 10 lb pork belly at Costco last week. On Sunday I cut it in half. I am curing the first half in my refrigerator right now to smoke next week for bacon. I then smoked the second half without curing for about 6.5 hours at 225 degrees until an internal temperature of 189 degrees. It turned out perfectly - smoky, salty, and tender. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 9916927D-1341-4F95-BBDF-E6C54CC267FB.jpeg
    9916927D-1341-4F95-BBDF-E6C54CC267FB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 09E3FDDB-55ED-4275-99D3-91101A2A81C1.jpeg
    09E3FDDB-55ED-4275-99D3-91101A2A81C1.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 71
  • C050DF22-5ED4-4302-8D72-8750404E3C0A.jpeg
    C050DF22-5ED4-4302-8D72-8750404E3C0A.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 75
I bought a 10 lb pork belly at Costco last week. On Sunday I cut it in half. I am curing the first half in my refrigerator right now to smoke next week for bacon. I then smoked the second half without curing for about 6.5 hours at 225 degrees until an internal temperature of 189 degrees. It turned out perfectly - smoky, salty, and tender. Pictures below.
Bacon !!!! Yummmmm

Half cup canola oil
Half cup soy sauce
Juice of six limes
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tap ground cumin

Sounds just like Hawaiian Huli Huli marinade with cumin and chili added. (y)

Sounds just like Hawaiian Huli Huli marinade with cumin and chili added. (y)
Yes exactly! I like my fajitas with more of a Hawaiian inspiration. We have a mexican restaurant here in Austin TX called Hula Hut. It's a Mexican Hawaiian fusion that adds a whole different flavor profile. That's where I got my inspiration from. I also do a Polynesian style beef fajita with mango salsa that's amazing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back