Show us what you're cooking...

First attempt at smokin some cheese...

OLJcYTGl.jpg

Well, how did it turn out? Looks good!

Well, how did it turn out? Looks good!
Too soon to tell.

Depending on who you ask, it needs to remain sealed in the fridge for 1 to 8 weeks to allow the smoke to penetrate the cheese.

I will probably sample some just before Christmas.

Too soon to tell.

Depending on who you ask, it needs to remain sealed in the fridge for 1 to 8 weeks to allow the smoke to penetrate the cheese.

I will probably sample some just before Christmas.
Yes, the longer you wait the better. It'll taste like an ash tray if you go at it too soon.

I did a bunch back in April and just opened some that I vacuum sealed at Thanksgiving and it was great.

Yup, it’s the OEM thick paper tray that is sold with the pizzas, as intended for use in standard oven, 425*F for 12-18 minutes.
I pretty much did the same on the rt700. I let it go for 10 minutes, peeked, then checked again at 3 minutes, and again at 3 minutes. I think it could have gone another minute or two, but hungry mouths were waiting.

00CE0BEC-6DAA-4BFF-B8C5-2EED4DA664CD.jpeg
AD053720-A331-4AAB-938D-D8F6950CF588.jpeg
Pork butt burnt ends. First attempt. They were way over-seasoned. I will use 1/3 the amount of rub next time. They also sat in the fridge 24 hours seasoned & covered on a rack. Next time I’ll go about 23 hours less. I think they had too much time to absorb the salts and also caused a drier-than-expected final result. 270* for 3 hours on rack. Toss with sauce and cook covered in pan 325* for 40 minutes. Uncover and toss and cook another 35 minutes. Some pieces were quite tender and, but others a bit dry. Biggest issue was the over seasoning. Family didn’t complain much, and I warned them to drink plenty of liquids with dinner!!
Any input for my next attempt would be appreciated

Sliced four chops off of a Costco pork rib roast and took them for a ride on the Bull (and a seer on the Weber). Used the Ron’s Screamin’ Pig rub that @Mike and Rec Teq provided from the rub giveaway. They had great flavor and a little zip from the spice.
AB81BA91-F110-4005-890E-597CCABA200C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sliced four chops off of a Costco pork rib roast and took them for a ride on the Bull (and a seer on the Weber). Used the Ron’s Screamin’ Pig rub that @Mike and Rec Teq provided from the rub giveaway. They had great flavor and a little zip from the spice.View attachment 7705

They look amazing! What was your method for heat etc.?

View attachment 7701View attachment 7702Pork butt burnt ends. First attempt. They were way over-seasoned. I will use 1/3 the amount of rub next time. They also sat in the fridge 24 hours seasoned & covered on a rack. Next time I’ll go about 23 hours less. I think they had too much time to absorb the salts and also caused a drier-than-expected final result. 270* for 3 hours on rack. Toss with sauce and cook covered in pan 325* for 40 minutes. Uncover and toss and cook another 35 minutes. Some pieces were quite tender and, but others a bit dry. Biggest issue was the over seasoning. Family didn’t complain much, and I warned them to drink plenty of liquids with dinner!!

They look great! I did rib tips on the Weber just before I got the Bull and had a similar outcome. I used Kingsford original rub and had prepared the day before like you.

I honestly did not think the rub was taking well and used a bowl to get the rub to set. I think between the rub itself (too salty), doing a day earlier and my method for applying was the combination for my result.

Had to toss them.. they were that bad. Similar I chalked it up to a learning lesson. That is how we get better and experienced and learn tips here by sharing our experiences such as this. We all benefit by doing so and together gain the knowledge.

Thanks for sharing.. helps everyone and next time imagine the results :).

View attachment 7701View attachment 7702Pork butt burnt ends. First attempt. They were way over-seasoned. I will use 1/3 the amount of rub next time. They also sat in the fridge 24 hours seasoned & covered on a rack. Next time I’ll go about 23 hours less. I think they had too much time to absorb the salts and also caused a drier-than-expected final result. 270* for 3 hours on rack. Toss with sauce and cook covered in pan 325* for 40 minutes. Uncover and toss and cook another 35 minutes. Some pieces were quite tender and, but others a bit dry. Biggest issue was the over seasoning. Family didn’t complain much, and I warned them to drink plenty of liquids with dinner!!
Yep...I've found if you rub pork too early...even ribs...they tend to be "ham-like" in taste and texture.

They look amazing! What was your method for heat etc.?
I ran them at 250 until an IT of 120 then onto GrillGrates on my Weber. About 2 - 2 1/2 minutes per side with a rotation half way through. I had one that was a little thicker than the others that I set off to indirect heat for a couple more minutes to get to temp. I pulled each of them when they hit 140-145.

I ran them at 250 until an IT of 120 then onto GrillGrates on my Weber. About 2 - 2 1/2 minutes per side with a rotation half way through. I had one that was a little thicker than the others that I set off to indirect heat for a couple more minutes to get to temp. I pulled each of them when they hit 140-145.
Cool.. thank you.

I picked up a pack of BB ribs at BJ's, $20 so not too bad. I think I will give the Bullseye a test and see if it can hold 250 for the cook.

Has anyone used marinade on ribs??? I have always heard of using dry rub overnight but never a mention of "liquid" marinade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back