Show us what you're cooking...

Attacked a few (three) racks of spares tonight. Picked them up at Costco yesterday, got them ready for the cook today. Set the RT 680 at 235 and the ribs went on at 1:30pm. Spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour for the first 4 hours. At 5:30 cranked the temp up to 265 for another hour. One rack really started to pull away nicely, the other two were still a little early.

Pulled the racks off one at a time and sauced. Used Dinosaur "Sensual Slathering" on one rack, Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ Sauce on one, and a Carolina inspired mustard vinegar sauce (Wegmans Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce) on the third. The Carolina sauce was something new for our family, as my wife and son do not particularly like mustard or tangy flavors. I usually make my own BBQ sauce for the ribs, but we had open bottles of the first two, and an "getting old" un-opened bottle of the Carolina Gold, so thought I should use them up. Turns out, the Carolina sauce was a HUGE hit with us tonight.

Once all three racks were back on the pit, they stayed for about 45 minutes then pulled, off and set aside. Rested for about 10 minutes, then sliced the ribs. As you can see from the pictures, it looks like two of the three racks still did not have much pull back from bone, but don't let that fool you as my tenderness probe test indicated they were done, and all three had great bite through, and the meat came off each bone while eating. Not falling off the bone as many folks like, but bones were pretty clean when throwing in the discard bowl. This is my forth rib cook in a row where I did not wrap, and have been very happy with the way they came out. Moist, tender, and bite through to the bone. I might save a messy step and not wrap anymore going forward.

No pics available, but served with grilled corn (for me, rest of the family likes it boiled), kale and quinoa cakes and corn bread. Of course there may have been a Yuengling or two in there as well.

Ok, enough of me spewing words, time for the pics.....although I am still not good with the pics!

Ribs.JPG
On Pit.JPG
Ready for Sauce.JPG
Ready to pull.JPG
Ribs plated.JPG
Ribs Bite through.JPG

Well I hope this will be ok to post as this is meant to be what we are cooking on our RT's but most of you know what I am dealing with right now as far as that goes...for those that do not please feel free to read my Journey in the RT700 section under the thread ..."I DID IT".

So I went out to my MES last night to get her warmed up and it would not turn on. As complete fear ran thru me about the 4th...I started sweet talking her thinking this was in rebellion from thinking she is getting replaced by the Bull 700. I explained that under no circumstances would that happen and that she would continue to be a very valued member in my stable of cooking appliances and I could not go on without her. After explaining all of that she did turn on (I also plugged it in. It seems my daughter unplugged it)

I decided to give a 32 ounce reverse sear ribeye a go. Here are the pics of my labor.

Seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Put it on the MES at 225 with pecan wood till internal came up to 125. Had the gasser fired up to max temp with brand new grillgrates on it and seared it 2 min turn 2 min flip 2 min turn 2 min off. Put a dollop of garlic herb compound butter on it and let it rest for 10 min. (longest 10 min of my life). Came out perfect. Thank you @Uncle Bob for the inspiration to give this a try with all of the beauties he has posted.
Came out with a wonderful light smoke flavor but still allowed the flavor of the beef. My wife said it was my best steak ever!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back