Show us what you're cooking...

Did my first ever brisket (Prime cut) and am very happy with the end results.

brisket.jpg

brisket-sliced.jpg

Started off at 9.42 LBS before I trimmed a bit of the fat off. Rubbed it down the night before with Holy Cow rub from Meat Church on Friday. At 6:30am Saturday I put it in the Rec Tec Bull and let it cook until it reached an IT of 175 F.

Then I wrapped it in butcher paper and took it off at 196 F.

Overall the brisket was pretty dang good. It could have been a bit more tender but for a first time ever brisket I really couldn't be any happier with it and it seems the guest was happy with it too - there isn't anything left over.

Already looking forward to doing another very soon!

Looks really nice, brisket ain't easy if you're seeking "perfection". Even with a prime cut. One of my more disappointing brisket outcomes was a prime, so I've come to accept that each piece of meat has it's own mind.

Bet you liked how that granton slicer worked too.

Cooking a little bit of everything today....

The pork butt is wrapped. Gave myself 16 hours (because 90% of the time that's enough) but it's making me nervous, so it got the crutch.

Pork butts is fickle, ain't they? I'm starting two tonight at 11:00 with the expectation they'll be service ready for the party at 6:00 tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Haven't been as active lately. Between work and cooking, I'm about drained most days. Had to post these babies though. Smoked 3 pork butts Friday night for my daughter's birthday party Saturday. Tried a new coffee rub. Wife says it's the best to date she's had and my family rolled out with extra plates to take home like it was crack. About 27 lbs, it took about 14 hours, and rested for about 4 hours.
IMG_20190518_070234_606.jpg

Haven't been as active lately. Between work and cooking, I'm about drained most days. Had to post these babies though. Smoked 3 pork butts Friday night for my daughter's birthday party Saturday. Tried a new coffee rub. Wife says it's the best to date she's had and my family rolled out with extra plates to take home like it was crack. About 27 lbs, it took about 14 hours, and rested for about 4 hours.

Tell me more about this coffee rub...

Tell me more about this coffee rub...
The Rub:
2 tablespoons freshly ground (medium) coffee
2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander

I also use molasses as the binder. You get a great bark.

Must have been a "butt" kinda weekend. The bride had invited a bunch of her horsey friends over for a Sunday evening feed, so I told her we could take an 8+ pound butt out of the freezer along with a 3ish pound rack of spare ribs and smoke up a meal. Well, the head count grew a bit so we doubled up and got another butt at 9+ pounds and another rack. Ended up with close to 24# pre-cook weight. The smaller butt took 14 hrs. the larger 16 (no crutch) the ribs the standard 6. Pretty painless cook and great results...……...…………….butt :)then that's why we got our RTs isn't it?
butt 01.JPG
butt 02.JPG
butt 03.JPG
rib 01.JPG

Last edited:
Had my first BBQ this past weekend with the Rec Tec. I had somewhere between 30-40 people over and the Rec Tec didn't let me down! My guests were complimenting the quality of the food as well as the looks of the grill and had all kinds of questions about it. I did two 9# shoulders two different ways, 5 packs of hot dogs, and even an apple crisp! Everything came out amazing! I even found a neighbor who has a buddy who raises live stock and gets regular access to freshly butchered cuts and said to just let him know when we're having events and he can get whatever!!!!! All in all it was a successful party!

IMG_4911.JPG
IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4913.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4915.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4920.JPG

@SmokeShow how do you like that Holy Cow rub?

I used it on my brisket a few weeks back and was pretty impressed by it. Had a great flavor.

@SmokeShow how do you like that Holy Cow rub?

I used it on my brisket a few weeks back and was pretty impressed by it. Had a great flavor.
I used Heffer Dust, Honey Rib Rub, and the comp blend. Can't comment on the Holy Cow rub. But the three rubs I did use I liked them all. I'm a little partial to the Heffer Dust. It's sooooo good!

So, yesterday we did our infrequent trip to Sam's to stock up on bulk amounts of stuff that gets used with regularity (yeah, hidden message there ;)) and while looking through the meat displays there are some decent looking Cowboy ribeyes (think tomahawk ribeye with a shorter bone exposed if you're unfamiliar). They were graded Angus Choice, but as most have learned there are variation/ranges in play. I tend to pick the most marbled ones that, in my mind anyway, were marginally below the Prime rating for whichever inspector was working in the processing plant that day. Also got a prime packer brisket, but that's going to stay in the fridge for awhile to age some. Anyway, dropped one of the Boys on the Stampede for dinner tonight. I kind of misjudged cooking time and we ate a bit over an hour later than usual, but man, was it worth it! I did the steak at 225 planning to reverse sear it on my gasser sear burner. As an added kicker I changed pellets too as Sam's had Smokehouse blend on sale for just under $15 for 40#. I won't know until cool down for clean up whether they leave more, less, or the same for ash. By smell, but not so much by taste, they seemed to be more hickory strong, and they burned just a bit hotter as they caused the fan to cycle more than the blend that RT supplies. The pics will tell the rest of the story......…...….
cboy ribeye 01.JPG
cboy ribeye 02.JPG

Gonna be doing my first cook on my Stampede at 0200 tomorrow. 12.5 lb brisket. Cant wait to see how it cooks

So this was today for father's day - dad loves the ribs I make
View attachment 591

Yesterday we had a cookout at a friend's house. He has a 680, and is basically the reason I have mine. He did prime rib (drool), we smoked eggs and potatoes to make a potato salad, and another friend (that I turned into a rec-tec owner) brought smoked mac 'n cheese. Then we sampled 10 different bourbon barrel aged stouts. That's a good night in my book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back