Show us what you're cooking...

Bacon wrapped meat loaf

Actually, there was only 6 slices of bacon. I pretty much followed a Rec Tec recipe with Rotel tomatoes and Ritz crackers (and more) but it is the grill itself that makes this so good. I am grilling in the wintertime again.

Swan and Mike, the meatloaf and the strip look amazing. Still have not cooked a meatloaf on the Tec gotta get to it one of these days. Definite with the bacon wrap!

The house is a little under the weather this weekend so I smoked a whole chicken, made bone stock with the carcass and backbone (left from spatchcocking) in the Instant Pot, and made some amazing chicken noodle soup in the Dutch Oven. KRYPTONITE for any cold!
IMG_20190309_212125_978.jpg

Hi all,

Have not shared in a while. Nothing exotic on the pit today. My son is coming in from school to play in a tournament at a college close by and bringing 12-14 of his team mates. Threw three 8# boneless butts on the pit at 0730 this morning. Currently on the pit now (reading 129 internal), for about 4 hours, looking for about another 1 - 1.5 hours before wrapping and finishing to 205 internal. Hoping to pull off the pit by 6:30 - 7 to rest and then pull. Made a little home made BBQ sauce last night, and making cole slaw later today. An easy dish to feed a score of hungry college athletes.

Pulled off the pit, ready for FTC and the rest period. Probably going to sit in the cooler longer than just the rest period. Due to the time our guest are arriving, probably will be FTC for 2+ hours.

Okay, so we smoking mavens are supposed to be carnivore Neanderthals, and that's perfectly acceptable. However, particularly when the weather turns warmer (I know, some had snow this past weekend, but we're at 80ish in Central Texas), a salad based dish (oh the horrors!) can be pretty refreshing. Now, stay with me here, especially if you have a palate that can appreciate multi-levels of tastes.

The meat involved here is chicken, any portion will do, but for this dish I used breast because it's what I had in the freezer yesterday. This is a dish we usually use leftover roasted chicken pieces in, but I wanted to add a smoky element to the flavor profile so went that way from scratch. Breasts can be touchy (did he really say that?) and come out pretty dry if you're not careful. I chose not to brine these first just to see if my other idea would work. I did an overnight marinade in Bloody Mary mix, thinking that there might be enough salt in it to be somewhat of a brine as well as flavor profile. Then earlier today I fired up the Stampede and smoked those puppies. I'm using the pellet blend that RT sent in the initial order which has a slightly sweet note. Once smoked I put the breast pieces in the fridge to cool until we were ready to assemble dinner. A short while before dinner I pulled the chicken into chunklets, and doused them with Frank's Hot Sauce. My thought was that the smoke on the chicken would complement the profile of the Frank's and did it ever. Then on to the salad portion. We prefer the texture of romaine, but a mixed green with peppery arugula and other earthy flavors might be interesting too. In addition to the lettuce we also incorporate avocado, celery, carrot, and the kicker, honeycrisp apple chunks. Toss that with a tangy good blue cheese dressing, and some fresh ground pepper, and then toss the Frank's coated chicken chunks on top. Now that all might seem like a whole bunch of flavors that could fight with one another but actually the sweet, the hot, the tangy, the smoky, the crunchy...…...…..makes for a really tasty meal if your palate likes interest.
frank salad 01.JPG
frank salad 02.JPG
frank salad 03.JPG

Pork chops for dinner last night.

Cooked using Extreme Smoke until the internal temp reached 130 then turned up the grill to 375 and cooked each side for another 3-4 minutes.

Incredibly juicy and great smoke ring!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back