Should I seal my Rec Tec grill? Answered!

I was cooking two mats of bacon across mine regularly without a lid seal. The left mat/bacon had to be rotated with the right side to keep up with the right sides progress. After the Vision seal install, all is cooking much more evenly now across the entire grate. I no longer have to move the bacon around for an even cook for all. The only moves are those too close to the very edge of the drip tray that are getting more of the flames' heat, understandably. If there is any concern about less air flow, raise the smoke cap up a bit more.

I was going to seal the lid to keep it looking as new as possible. I found that liquid Bar Tenders Friend makes the smoke stains jump off the smoker and on to a rag. There is no need for a seal.

How often do you replace the gaskets?
Not sure...mines 2 1/2 years old. It does have a tiny area that leaks now, but nothing that can't be easily cleaned. So to me, doesnt warrant replacement yet.
I'm kinda waiting to see who replaces one also, to see the removal method.

Last edited:
I sealed my 590 after just a couple of cooks to keep it clean.
I haven’t had any issues as far as operation but did get curious about the ‘breathing’ that the original design supposedly allows.
Like many coming from the WSM world first, I wanted more smoke flavor so I started using a smoke tube.
I noticed that my smoke tube seemed to struggle to stay burning sometimes (could have been user error) and didn’t produce as much smoke after I closed the lid sealed lid.
I really noticed this the other day when doing a cook with a smoke tube. The tube was giving off some smoke. I was done with it and put it in my Weber gas grill and closed the lid to let it burnout on its own. I looked out on the deck and the smoke was billowing from the Weber (which was off and cold). This really got me to wondering how much oxygen is being restricted by sealing the lid?
I’ve been tempted to remove all but the top seal from my 590 lid. I just like the clean grill, though.

I’ll post again if I remove the seal and see how the smoke tube acts

Does anyone have a pic of the 590 with a seal on it? I have the 1” seal here now, I get my grill Tuesday though. Just wanted to see some examples if you have them!

I sealed my 590 after just a couple of cooks to keep it clean.
I haven’t had any issues as far as operation but did get curious about the ‘breathing’ that the original design supposedly allows.
Like many coming from the WSM world first, I wanted more smoke flavor so I started using a smoke tube.
I noticed that my smoke tube seemed to struggle to stay burning sometimes (could have been user error) and didn’t produce as much smoke after I closed the lid sealed lid.
I really noticed this the other day when doing a cook with a smoke tube. The tube was giving off some smoke. I was done with it and put it in my Weber gas grill and closed the lid to let it burnout on its own. I looked out on the deck and the smoke was billowing from the Weber (which was off and cold). This really got me to wondering how much oxygen is being restricted by sealing the lid?
I’ve been tempted to remove all but the top seal from my 590 lid. I just like the clean grill, though.

I’ll post again if I remove the seal and see how the smoke tube acts
Makes sense. Thanks for sharing. From what I've read, and think I understand, many that seal the lid are doing it for low temp smoking and less for high temp grilling.

Last edited:
Hmm. I wonder if it really affects the cold smoking aspect. I just sealed my 590 tonight with the 1” lavalock. I accidentally ordered the 1” rather than the 1/2”. It seems a little big but I’m sure it’ll be fine. Worst comes to worst I use the heat gun and heat it up to remove it. I was planning on trying to smoke some cheese this weekend because it’s like 20° in ny at night. So I ordered a smoke tube as well. I’ll see how it goes if I do the cheese.

I used that on my 700 for both the lid and smokebox door. It has worked very well. I did all four sides on both of them. For the lid I placed the product very close to the edge with just a tiny gap.

For those that have sealed theirs... It seems for the low temp cooking it's a no brainer but I plan to also do some high heat stuff in the 500+ range.

Are your gaskets holding up for those that do a higher range of temp?

I know this has been beat to death but I am finishing putting it together tomorrow and want to either put it on before the first cook or forget about it and move on lol. Thanks

For those that have sealed theirs... It seems for the low temp cooking it's a no brainer but I plan to also do some high heat stuff in the 500+ range.

Are your gaskets holding up for those that do a higher range of temp?

I know this has been beat to death but I am finishing putting it together tomorrow and want to either put it on before the first cook or forget about it and move on lol. Thanks
Sealing the lid has been linked to global warming. Proceed at your own risk, you've been warned!

Sealing the lid has been linked to global warming. Proceed at your own risk, you've been warned!
Or what ? Greta will fly in on her Gulfstream V and beat him with a dead parrot ? 😂😂😂

Dead Parrot.gif

Oh, and FWIW, I sealed mine and have had no problems. I've found the biggest benefit is that it greatly reduced the clangin' and bangin' when closing the lid. Kinda' like a door on a new Mercedes.....;)

Or what ? Greta will fly in on her Gulfstream V and beat him with a dead parrot ? 😂😂😂

View attachment 18251

Oh, and FWIW, I sealed mine and have had no problems. I've found the biggest benefit is that it greatly reduced the clangin' and bangin' when closing the lid. Kinda' like a door on a new Mercedes.....;)
That's one way to tenderize!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back