Should I buy a recteq?!

Startswithj

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So, I have been really shopping for a while now and e used that I like Recteq, but have been hesitant due to the cost. It’s more of a want than a need so I’m working through it.

That said, I found someone selling a used 590 for $600. According to the seller, it was used less than 10 times. Should I buy this?

One major concern is that the warranty would be void, which is a big red flag for me.
Help!

So, I have been really shopping for a while now and e used that I like Recteq, but have been hesitant due to the cost. It’s more of a want than a need so I’m working through it.

That said, I found someone selling a used 590 for $600. According to the seller, it was used less than 10 times. Should I buy this?

One major concern is that the warranty would be void, which is a big red flag for me.
Help!
How much is the warranty worth to you?

I don't own a 590 but haven't heard of any real issues.

I would personally look for a company that supports customers with upgrades and parts as needed.

RecTeq have become greedy and if you want to do mods on that 590 you are on your own for parts like say an auger motor, heat deflector, drip shield and an inner rack. Some of which are not for the 590 but if they do come out with an upgraded 590 and you want parts good luck.

They are greedy only selling parts to those that own those models and tell folks to just buy a new grill if they want the upgrades. Just my 2 cents.

The used sounds good to me, although if RT won't sell you parts as Sdynak suggests, it may not be, maybe call and ask. You can get support on repairs and such here, but parts is another matter.

If I were buying used I would make sure to make sure it lights and comes up to, and holds, 225 or some such before handing over my $.

With the diags, you can walk thru most of the grills functions on demand, download the manual.

Devil's advocate on the parts question: What we're seeing is RT holding off on selling some parts that folks want to use in modifying their grills. Some of those parts are associated with the new 1250 model. It doesn't seem particularly unusual (at least to me) for them to hold off selling those parts while they (A) launch the new model and (B) make sure they have parts on hand to support customers who buy it. They wouldn't be the first company to do that. We all know supply chains are messed up these days - RT doesn't always have a consistent inventory of parts for existing models as it is.

I'd imagine that RT would be more than happy to sell someone parts for a used 590. The difference would be warranty coverage, which doesn't transfer from the original purchaser.

As for the OP's question, $600 is enough of a discount from new to consider buying. Depending on its condition, etc, and your comfort level with no warranty coverage.

as long as the grill looks and works good. i would buy it. the grills are pretty simple the blower fan is $29 and auger motor is $49. the only part that’s probably expensive is the controller. im not sure what that cost because you have to call them to order it so no prices online. new or preseasoned you will love the recteq. the flavor is incredible. if you have never had a reverse seared steak it will blow your mind! better than the best steak house

Almost anyone can find something to complain about when your talking about something made by man. I however have been using my RT700 now for over three years and still am in love with the way it works. The customer service at RT in my opinion can not be beat. I have called on them several times for assistance and they have provided top notch service. I have even sent them an email and they have called instead of trying to answer my question by mail.
I will highly recommend RT

Devil's advocate on the parts question: What we're seeing is RT holding off on selling some parts that folks want to use in modifying their grills. Some of those parts are associated with the new 1250 model. It doesn't seem particularly unusual (at least to me) for them to hold off selling those parts while they (A) launch the new model and (B) make sure they have parts on hand to support customers who buy it. They wouldn't be the first company to do that. We all know supply chains are messed up these days - RT doesn't always have a consistent inventory of parts for existing models as it is.

While I can understand RT not selling parts for a grill you don't actually own, I kind of feel like most of what they added to the 700 to get the 1250 came directly from this forum and it's members.

I've modded every grill I have ever owned in some manner or the other - usually to correct a small flaw here and there.

It would be up to the owners of this forum, but perhaps a separate (verified non RT employee only) area should be set up for modifications. :ROFLMAO::devilish:

In any case, RT makes a quality grill and they support those grills better than anyone else in the industry. I would recommend them over others (I owned a Traeger for 6+ years, never had an issue), but RT's grills are much higher quality in materials and operation.

It would be up to the owners of this forum, but perhaps a separate (verified non RT employee only) area should be set up for modifications.
By the way, I really like this idea of having a "Modifications" section on the Forum. Though I personally haven't done all that many for my RT-590 other than the basics, I love reading about them and understanding what they add to the original equipment. Fun stuff!

By the way, I really like this idea of having a "Modifications" section on the Forum. Though I personally haven't done all that many for my RT-590 other than the basics, I love reading about them and understanding what they add to the original equipment. Fun stuff!
Please don't steal my new mod, please.

I took my time and did a lot of research before I bought my RT590. Have had it only 2 weeks so far but have used it 10 times. Ihave done chicken. burgers and hot dogs, meat loaf ,boston butt,fish and ribs and am doing a brisket this weekend. I think it is the best grill, smoker I have ever had and I have had a lot of grills in my 73 years. If you are like me the price is a little high but maybe you can wait a little longer and get a new one. You will not be sorry.

I wouldn't say I regret my purchase but haven't had my 700 long enough to be a reliable source. I do know that I see lots of Recteq love from some and a fair bit of shade thrown at those who are critical. I feel like I'd have saved some $ and purchased a Weber Smokefire if I dug in to these forums and Facebook before purchasing.

A SmokeFire would have been cheaper but it's a noticeable step down in performance. There are also basic function issues still in the Weber, like when the controller freezes up and major hotspots.

Last edited:
I think if you like ribs, pulled pork, brisket and other long, low and slow type cooked meats, go for it. If you are looking for something to grill steaks and chops, there are many better devices. The primary benefit of a pellet grill is the precise temperature control, without any fire tending, for long cooks. That means you can put a brisket on and go to sleep, unlike a traditional bbq smoker. For the record, RecTeq contract manufactures their products in China.

I also bought a used 590, no regrets, I checked to be sure it worked, and never looked back. Took a little cleaning up,but it was pre seasoned,lol,the man gave me a brand new cover and a bunch of pellets. I contacted rec req about parts if needed they told me that they would help if needed. While they didn’t come right out and say they would honor warranty, they implied it. So I’m not really worried about it,even it I have to purchase repair parts. Too much meat smokin to do to be overly concerned . Enjoy!

A SmokeFire would have been cheaper but it's a noticeable step down in performance. There are also basic function issues still in the Weber, like when the controller freezes up and major hotspots.

I looked at the Weber SF and thought it had inferior construction compared to a recteq.

Help!
I bought the 590 at the beginning of the year. I have not needed any parts for it, however; I think 600 is too expensive of an investment for a used grill. Your skipping a 6 year warranty for 300 plus peace of mind!

You could find another brand new for a 600 plus a couple extra dollars and have a warranty. Because you just never know.

RecTeq customer service is above average for sure even superior. That is tied into the cost of the grill. The build material is top notch. But you can find another smoker that smokes meat for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back