Short Rib sauce?

agaffer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Good morning everybody. I like bbq short ribs or bbq dino bones but, the meat is very rich. To me they need some sauce to dial back the richness of the meat and fat. I was wondering if anybody has a recipe that works well with them. I make a great sauce, IMHO, for pork and chicken but, it is sweet along the lines of Blues Hogs and, to me, beef needs something different. Any suggestions?

Good morning everybody. I like bbq short ribs or bbq dino bones but, the meat is very rich. To me they need some sauce to dial back the richness of the meat and fat. I was wondering if anybody has a recipe that works well with them. I make a great sauce, IMHO, for pork and chicken but, it is sweet along the lines of Blues Hogs and, to me, beef needs something different. Any suggestions?
I like acid to cut through the fat. I'm a big fan of North Carolina style pepper vinegar sauce or South Carolina mustard sauces. I haven't tried them much on beef, but it can't be bad.

Another option would be an Alabama White Sauce...heavy on the horseradish.

But in all honesty, a good beef rib doesn't need any sauce.

I have used this on beef. I add extra black pepper to it also. Very tasty.
B114A38E-CAAD-42C7-8CE9-7C6F15C4D33C.jpeg

I like straight Worcestershire in a little side cup for dipping. It’s “vinegary” enough to cut the richness and “meaty” enough to go right along with rich beef. I use this a lot when I eat SCA style ribeyes too. It’s salty, so there’s that and some people just aren’t Worcestershire peeps. You could always do a sauce with that as a base, perhaps some finely diced shallots, a cup of red wine reduced slowly on the stove or in the smoker, black pepper. That would be nice.

I like acid to cut through the fat. I'm a big fan of North Carolina style pepper vinegar sauce or South Carolina mustard sauces. I haven't tried them much on beef, but it can't be bad.

Another option would be an Alabama White Sauce...heavy on the horseradish.

But in all honesty, a good beef rib doesn't need any sauce.
A Alabama white sauce with added pepper makes sense.

I like straight Worcestershire in a little side cup for dipping. It’s “vinegary” enough to cut the richness and “meaty” enough to go right along with rich beef. I use this a lot when I eat SCA style ribeyes too. It’s salty, so there’s that and some people just aren’t Worcestershire peeps. You could always do a sauce with that as a base, perhaps some finely diced shallots, a cup of red wine reduced slowly on the stove or in the smoker, black pepper. That would be nice.
Reading this made me realize that I was missing the obvious. Instead of a bbq sauce what would work, at least for me, would be a good steak sauce. I got so caught up thinking bbq that I had tunnel vision.

Reading this made me realize that I was missing the obvious. Instead of a bbq sauce what would work, at least for me, would be a good steak sauce. I got so caught up thinking bbq that I had tunnel vision.

Agree. Something like the traditional A-1 or your other favorite steak sauce that has some acid/vinegar to cut the fat. Thanks for this thought.

I made a red wine reduction sauce, google the recipe,was just right on the short ribs

With beef, I like lighter and spicier sauces. Like a thin habanero sauce. Not a traditional high sugar and thick bbq sauce.

I cut SBR's (THE go to BBQ sauce at home) with cider vinegar and add cayenne. Typically 2 parts sauce to 1 part ACV. Cayenne to taste.
It's acidic enough to cut the richness a bit, but still bbq'ey. The chili kick just let's you know it's working.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back