Shop vac

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I suppose this will set off a debate as do so many other topics but I’m considering buying a small shop vac to clean out my 590. I know the ashes have to be cold but I never clean mine out until at least the next day so that won’t be a problem. I know there are ash vacuums specifically for that purpose but those are mostly for fireplaces and overkill for what I want. Anyone have problems using a shop vac for the ashes?

I suppose this will set off a debate as do so many other topics but I’m considering buying a small shop vac to clean out my 590. I know the ashes have to be cold but I never clean mine out until at least the next day so that won’t be a problem. I know there are ash vacuums specifically for that purpose but those are mostly for fireplaces and overkill for what I want. Anyone have problems using a shop vac for the ashes?
Not a single problem.

I use a Ridgid shop vac similar to this one here.

I use a Bucket Head from HD and it works fine, no issues.
Have seen those but it’s for a five gallon bucket. Don’t want something that big. Have a big shop vac in the attic for big jobs. Just want a 2 or 3 gallon to use on the 590 and the cars. But thanks for the suggestion.

You should have no issues with small shop vac or bucket head. Cleaning the fire pot more often is helpful. The bottom of the barrel can go longer. I just did my barrel for the first time in six months.

I use a little 4 gallon Shop Vac with bags. I clean the smoker before use, as opposed to after use, and have had no issues. The wand and such gets pretty dirty so the vac is dedicated to just the smoker.

Yep, bucket head works great. Go to Kroger or similar and see what they have for buckets in the baking section. I got a 3 gallon bucket there that previously held vanilla icing and it was free. Also smelt good for a while too.

yeah, the nicest part of this one is opening it up like a can and having pellets I can still use. I was prepping for some ribs and a Pork butt, and took out the Competition blend pellets with this to throw in some Cherry. It is nice to be able to save pellets, (saved about 4lbs worth of competion blend pellets).

I use a RIGID vac from Home Depot. I recently bought one of the bag filters instead of the normal cylinder filter. The cylinder was clogged by the fine ash almost instantly. This collects it and makes easy dust-free collection and removal. Come in two-packs, I think.
ShopVacBagFilter.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back