Shelf for Rec Tec Trailblazer

flh69

Does anyone know of a shelf that will fit the front outside of a Trailblazer?

I went the DIY route. Ordered a pair of stainless steel folding shelf brackets and a pair of Weber series E grates. I made a couple of oak spacers to put the shelf at the right height and put supports inside the Trailblazer to hold the second grate at just the right height.

Presto! folding external shelf and removable second internal grate.

Here's one option, probably others out there; https://www.ebay.com/itm/22x12-Stai...050104?hash=item25d5e08138:g:yXQAAOSwjqVZCh6l

Also, this one may available elsewhere for a better deal, gotta do a search.

I bought the stainless steel version and was disappointed, maybe just bad luck. The top of the bars is folded to easily hook over the front opening of the grill. Problem was that it was too tight of fold and didn't fit over the front lip. The Steel is thick and impossibly to easily widen the fold to fit.

I bought the stainless steel version and was disappointed, maybe just bad luck. The top of the bars is folded to easily hook over the front opening of the grill. Problem was that it was too tight of fold and didn't fit over the front lip. The Steel is thick and impossibly to easily widen the fold to fit.

If you have a picture of the fold in the bracket and juxtapose it against the lip of the opening so I could see how much/what shape has to be modified it might be possible to give you an idea or two to work with. The difficult is easy, the impossible just takes a little longer.

Man i wish i had a picture of what it looked like previously. I ended up out of frustration just hammering it flat, drilling holes for small bolts ,then adding another piece of metal that i bent into a hook. Very ghetto work, more out our frustration that it was just bent so tight in the first place that i couldn't just open it up a bit without bending the rest of the bar. It functions great but not a clean look.

Looks good @pbft.

What is that cover made from?
I used a carbon fiber welding blanket. Since it sheds a bit (it's like soft felt) I stitched a piece of scrap fabric to the outer surface. I used some strong magnets to hod it in place near the top hinges and at the bottom rear. I also discovered that the outer shell of the RT340 gets really hot below the level of the grease tray. It was hot enough to lightly scorch the fabric and melt the threads. I ended up gluing some scraps of the carbon felt to the inside with high-temp silicone to keep the outside blanket from scorching. Cuts pellet consumption a lot and makes operation at zero degrees a practical thing.

I went the DIY route. Ordered a pair of stainless steel folding shelf brackets and a pair of Weber series E grates. I made a couple of oak spacers to put the shelf at the right height and put supports inside the Trailblazer to hold the second grate at just the right height.

Presto! folding external shelf and removable second internal grate.
View attachment 249
View attachment 250
Nice job! How did you attach the shelf supports to the body of the grill? I'm reluctant to drill. Maybe a high temp bonding agent?

I purchased SS folding shelf brackets on Amazon for $20. My plan is to drill holes on front plate of Stampede and attach brackets. For the shelf I will use a hard wood like oak.
Any thoughts or concerns?

I just finished my front shelf for the 340. I found some 8" brackets similar to what Uncle Bob used. I then ordered another bottom shelf from Rec Tec. I attached 1 1/4" treated pine pieces of wood to the brackets (had to plane them down to 1 1/8"). The shelf then fits on the wood and is removable so when you collapse the grill, the shelf won't drag on the ground (it's a little to wide when collapsed). Here are some pictures:

20191206_163823.jpg

20191206_163800.jpg

20191206_163746.jpg

I just finished my front shelf for the 340. I found some 8" brackets similar to what Uncle Bob used. I then ordered another bottom shelf from Rec Tec. I attached 1 1/4" treated pine pieces of wood to the brackets (had to plane them down to 1 1/8"). The shelf then fits on the wood and is removable so when you collapse the grill, the shelf won't drag on the ground (it's a little to wide when collapsed). Here are some pictures:

View attachment 1622

View attachment 1623

View attachment 1624
Nice job,I am also looking into options for a front shelf.
Thanks .

Traeger makes a grill shelf (BAC361) that will fit the RT-340. You will have to drill holes in the barrel to mount it. Since Traeger designed it to reuse their hardware, you will have to buy the bracket mounting hardware to put it on your RecTec. I would suggest you mount the right side bracket first. I mounted the left side bracket first and then had some interference from the the drip tray support when I matched the location on the right. The shelf fits perfectly and does not interfere with the cover. I realize that Rec Tec does not want to have a shelf for the 340 so that it does not interfere with its portability when the legs are folded. However, the shelf makes a huge difference in the utility of the smoker and I am very glad to have it.

Last edited:

View attachment 1622

View attachment 1623

View attachment 1624
That looks great, I am going to do this also. Awesome job

After looking at everyone's great ideas, I bought the SS folding brackets from Amazon and I decided to buy a Aluminum diamond plate 12 x 24 x 1/16th, Looks and works great. I spent about 30 bucks with the SS hardware
20200208_113853 (2).jpg
20200208_141441.jpg
20200208_141431 (1).jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back