Bull Shallow catch pan under grates for gravy?

DCP

I am smoking a 20 pound turkey. Can I place a catch pan for gravy under the grates? How do I do this?

If you don't have a turkey rack, I wouldn't rest your catch pan on the grease tray or deflector, it will just burn.
Smoke the neck and the bag'o'innards in a small pan in the corner of the grill with a little liquid. They'll give your gravy a good starting base. Use the neck meat and liver in the final gravy, throw away the rest.
I use a blender & stock to start - in a pinch, dump in a jar of ready made gravy on top of this, blend - and it's still a really good gravy.

1669245139500.png

So this would sit in your pan, keeping the turkey out of the drippings.
Unless you have a weirdly designed one, rib racks can often be flipped over as a turkey/roast rack.

I am smoking a 20 pound turkey. Can I place a catch pan for gravy under the grates? How do I do this?
Too late to do this for tomorrow, but for what you are wanting to do, IMO, the meat on an upper rack with a shallow hotel pan on the main rack is the way go. You can even use a cooling rack over the shallow hotel pan which gives you more head room for a 20# bird.

But as a side note, I would also use a 12-14# bird, or multiples of, for a much tastier bird.

Echoing @YoderGreg (sorry @Greg Jones , but since you shared your beautiful cutting board that I am genuinely jealous of, I had to come up with a sarcastic new nickname) I use a shallow hotel pan with a wire rack. I suspect I will overflow tomorrow with a similar 20# bird, but this is where I was at earlier today air drying. I'll pretty it up tomorrow before the cook.

IMG_1071.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back