Seeking Tips/Suggestions for Smoking Lamb Shanks

JamesB

I am continuing to experiment with smoking various cuts of meat in my RT-700, and I’ve decided to try lamb shanks tomorrow. The plan is, at present, to go with a garlic and herb rub, and smoke them at 225 until the hit about 185-190.

Any tips on what to avoid or, better still, how to maximize the results will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve never cooked a shank, but recently I cooked my first leg of lamb. I went with 250° smoker temp for 2.5 hours, for an IT of 135°. We were pretty happy with the results. I don’t know if a shank needs cooked to 185°+ or not?
4FE0C1E1-83C5-4694-992A-C1A432AAB0DF.jpeg

I frequently smoke leg of lamb with great results, but have never tried lamb shanks. The big unknown for me is that lamb shanks are primarily bone and I don’t know how that would affect cook temperature and time. Usually, they are braised in a liquid rather than being cooked in a dry heat.

I’m sure it can be done; just not sure exactly how. I will be interested in the results of your “experiment” since I really like lamb shanks.

How do you get the lamb to not be... lamb-y?
I figured out finally that overcooking salmon is what makes it fish-y.
Is there a secret to lamb and lambiness?

Haven't done lamb shanks, but I've done pork shanks a number of times. Those I just kiss with a little smoke and then crank up to 350 to get crackling skin. I piece the skin with a poultry trussing needle everywhere so the skin bubbles rather than shrinks and cracks. I place on top of a bed of sliced onions, a clove or two of garlic, and a pan of beer. I also use skewers through the base of the skin to keep it from shrinking up.

A couple of stolen Internet photos since I don't have a recent one of my own. I'd imagine this method would work well on lamb shanks, but again I haven't tried.

1658526077376.png

1658526115200.png

How do you get the lamb to not be... lamb-y?
I figured out finally that overcooking salmon is what makes it fish-y.
Is there a secret to lamb and lambiness?
For my taste, lamb needs a good amount of fresh, aromatic spices; Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, etc. to reduce the ”lambiness.” It is also a lean meat, so can dry out if overcooked. Anything over about 140F internal temp is “overcooked” for me unless it is braised in liquid. And, that would be my primary concern with lamb shanks.

I’m hoping the OP finds a way to do this successfully so I can give it a try.

As for salmon, for me it is a cardinal sin to overcook this wonderful fish. Anything past just being flaky is overcooked IMO.

Well here’s I'm at. I found a “ smoke and then braise “ recipe on the RecTeq website. Four lamb shanks. I stripped off all of the silver skin (surprisingly more than I expected), and some excess fatty skin.

Smoked for two hours at 225. Added the braising mixture to the Bull, simmered ever at 225 for another hour.

Once the shanks hit 145 internal, I transferred them to the braising pans, covered them with foil, and I’m keeping them at 325 and B for at least two hours.

For what it’s worth at this point, my side porch smells amazing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back