Beef Seeking Prime Rib Roast Advice

Beach Bum

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I'm planning to do a 3 or 4 bone rib roast this weekend. Can anyone provide some advice on a good cooking temperature and ballpark time for the cook? My preference would be lower temperature and more time.

This is one I have not previously attempted in my Bull or other smokers.

Thanks!

I second mooncusser2k, I have used the RT guidelines for a prime rib roast and it turned out great. i used some of the RT rubs and spices. I just wished i could find prime rib roast more often, they are like turkeys around here and only in the stores around holidays it seems.

If you search Prime Rib on this site, there are a few threads here with really good processes and recipes. I love prime rib off the smoker. One of my favorites!

Two YT channels I would recommend for you to watch are Malcom Reed on “How to BBQ Right” and Susie Bulloch on “Hey Grill Hey”. They both have prime rib recipes. I haven’t tried their prime rib recipes yet but I have used several other recipes they have and every one has turned out great.

Two YT channels I would recommend for you to watch are Malcom Reed on “How to BBQ Right” and Susie Bulloch on “Hey Grill Hey”. They both have prime rib recipes. I haven’t tried their prime rib recipes yet but I have used several other recipes they have and every one has turned out great.
Malcom has a recipe for whole prime rib that is very similar to the one I posted, especially adding the fresh herbs. He also has a YT video for it.
https://howtobbqright.com/2018/12/07/hickory-smoked-prime-rib/

Thanks everyone, that was lots of great advice. I appreciate it! As always, the folks in this forum are incredibly helpful.

Will do. I felt the same way about a brisket. After reading ideas on this forum I conquered it a couple weeks ago. The result was awesome.

Prime Rib comes out phenomenal on the smoker, you will love it! I sear mine on the gas grill for a minute or so a side once it’s done. Also I have found that resting it for roughly 20 min before I sear gives me better results. I’m sure yours will be great. Enjoy!

Prime Rib comes out phenomenal on the smoker, you will love it! I sear mine on the gas grill for a minute or so a side once it’s done.

For steaks and smaller cuts i completely agree. Reverse sear all day. However most roasts, especially the larger ones generally cook long enough they start to form a bark and dont need any follow up. This is not 100% but more often then not and simply from the convective nature of pellet grills drying out the outer layers. Also remember bones act like radiators so a bone in will take longer than a boneless.

9 pound rib roast just hit the grill grates. Planning on about six hours at 225. I went fairly simple with beef base and Heffer Dust on it.

Attachments

• 20200802_111736.jpg
    20200802_111736.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 142
  • 20200802_112519.jpg
    20200802_112519.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
Looks amazing, can’t wait for the “after” pics!

Well the rib roast cook is all done, and everyone is happily in a meat coma. We did a 9 pound bone-in rib roast at 225 on the Bull. I pulled it at 135 degree internal temperature after about five to five and half hours. We used just a simple bonding of beef base with Heffer Dust on it. Pellets were Lumberjack competition blend. It was typical summer afternoon in HB with an air temperature of about 75-80 degrees, so no weather challenges with cooking. The Bull locked in at 225 after about fifteen minutes and never drifted. The probes were very accurate, within a degree of my Lavatool Javelin Pro. I have always trusted that thermometer.

The final product was right at the medium rare level we love, with the bones a bit more rare than the rest. I'd say another 5+ degrees and we would have hit medium. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200802_185159.jpg
    20200802_185159.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 20200802_181059.jpg
    20200802_181059.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • 20200802_171846.jpg
    20200802_171846.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 145
Man Beach Bum that looks awesome! At our house that is perfectly done. How was the smoke flavor?

I was happy with the amount of smoke flavor. I have an A-maze-n tray but have not used it yet with my Bull. It's a leftover from my old masterbuilt. I know some folks make use of the smoke tubes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back