Seeking Feedback - High School Culinary Arts Program

zachlorber

I am the culinary arts instructor at State College Area High School in State College, PA. We received some grant money and I'm looking at the 2500 for my program. I have a lot of student interest in grilling, smoking, and BBQ. I was looking at a reverse flow stick burner, but I think we'd spend more time learning fire management than cooking. So I am leaning pellet now. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Zach

IMHO I think it's a great idea. 👍
Good luck.
Thanks. I appreciate the humble opinion. I'm also looking for someone in Pennsylvania who has one and would let me give it a quick look. Let me know if you know anyone in central PA. Thanks again.

Wow.. that would be a pretty amazing unit to work with. Good luck with the program. Can't go wrong there.. Keep in mind the 6 year warranty. That should help in the decision points. Wish I could help out further.

Wow.. that would be a pretty amazing unit to work with. Good luck with the program. Can't go wrong there.. Keep in mind the 6 year warranty. That should help in the decision points. Wish I could help out further.
Thanks! 6 year warranty is a big plus. Happy cooking

I am the culinary arts instructor at State College Area High School in State College, PA. We received some grant money and I'm looking at the 2500 for my program. I have a lot of student interest in grilling, smoking, and BBQ. I was looking at a reverse flow stick burner, but I think we'd spend more time learning fire management than cooking. So I am leaning pellet now. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Zach
Sign me up!

Wish this had been in class in my high school. For the price why not consider a couple of the smaller 340’s instead of the giant cooker. Maybe call Recteq and see if they have any of the ”older” 340‘s that they could wheel and deal something for you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You could probably spend the whole semester matching smoke flavors to proteins. Cook the standard 4 or 5 proteins with a single wood, compare which is best suited/matched. Or if you get the multiple units as suggested by @Smagnus cook a single protein across all the grills using different wood in each smoker.
I'd sign up for that as an evening course, I know I'll never run that full experiment in any meaningful way on my patio.
After writing the above, maybe multiple smaller ones is the way to go. (But no 6yr warranty) You can also compare 225 to 275 to 325 effects on taste and texture of the final product at one tasting.
Tough decisions but sounds like a lot of fun.
Good Luck!

The BFG or 2500 doesn't put out a ton of smoke even on eXtreme smoke mode. I would just note that but you could also teach how to use smoke tubes for added smoke which I think would be fun for those kids.

My buddy owns a catering business and got a BFG. He has had some issues but overall likes the grill. Just his one main complaint is the lack of smoke. The smoke does get better as the grill is seasoned but still something worth noting before you purchase. The 6 year warranty is nice and I know my buddy has had to call RecTeq and they have taken care of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back