Sear plates

big rigg

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I was at the local farm and home store yesterday and ran across a Weber cast iron sear plate with 13"x19" dimensions. Just wondering if anyone had tried it or something similar other than the aluminum grill grates from Rec Teq. (I prefer cast over aluminum) I know that it would be a little more narrow that the standard grate but it would only be used for searing so I don't feel that should be much of an issue.

It takes more heat energy to heat up cast iron than aluminum, so keep that in mind. CI will retain the heat better than aluminum, but it will be harder for a pellet grill to induce that heat in a timely fashion.

Have you tried cast aluminum? like Bob says it really is ideal for quick heats/searing. Really depends on your purpose. I do not have the Weber to help compare but have the Grill Grates and they are my go to for pretty much anything today. I'm looking to get the full Sear N Sizzle griddle grates without the holes and have even more versatility. I use the flat side on all cooks as the sear is just simply amazing. I think for open flame the CI would suit better. Good luck with your decision and welcome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back