RT-1250 Sear plate question.

SmokinHog

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hey guys. Got my sear plates in and I plan to use them tomorrow. I plant smoke a couple of ribeyes to about 125-130 then finish them to mid-rare on the sear plates. Do I put them in while I'm smoking the steaks or should I wait till I pull them off, put the plates on and crank up the temp to get them hot? Thanks for your help.

125 to 130 will likely be too much for a reverse sear if you are looking at med rare. I would not go more than 120 and even might pull at 115. Then, crank up the 1250 to 500 or so and let the plates get good & hot then slap them back on. They come up to temp quick on the sear plates. Of course thickness plays a huge role here as well so take that into consideration. I assume you have a quick read thermometer?

I do. Should I put the plates in as I smoke or wait till I pull the steaks?

I don't think it matters, but if I have the room, I just put them in when I am heating up the grill. Smoke the steaks on one side, and then pull them and crank up the heat.

Thanks, guys. My ribeyes are grateful too. The reason asked is that the booklet that came with the plates said that having them in would raise my internal cook chamber temps and I didn't want the thermometer in the chamber to see too high temps and stop feeding pellets, making me lose smoke.

I agree with the above, I don't have a 1250, but I have a 590. You should have plenty of room to put your sear plates in to heat up. I would put them on the right side as that is the hottest. It may raise temp some, but I would guess not much or maybe even not noticeable.
Remember you will still need to pull them and crank up the heat to really get the sear plates hot. I also agree with pulling them at maybe 110-115 and then searing to the temp you want, -5 degrees, your steaks will rise another 5 degrees once you pull. Definitely let them rest.

Lots of good advice here!

I agree with the above as well. I have started pulling mine around 110. I wasn’t getting enough sear time when I let them go to 115 or more. When I put them on the sear plates I turn them about a third of the way to final temp. For example, if they are 110 when I put them on and I want to pull them at 125, I will turn them at 115. Once the internal temp starts to rise, it starts going pretty fast. Turning at the one third point sears them about the same on each side.

As mentioned above make sure you put them on the right side. If you put the GrillGrates on the left side the heat coming off the them will mess with the RTD probe which will give you temp problems. I’ve never had any temp problems with them on the right side.

Let us know how it goes, and don’t forget pictures!

They came out perfect. Thanks for all the help guys.

Attachments

• Ribeyes.jpg
    Ribeyes.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 108
If there are no pictures it didn't happen! They looked great! Juicy..nice finish... I am sure she didn't complain about the taste of them. ha! Good work!

She said "Why did you put them on that board? Now it has to be cleaned." I replied "The picture."
Cue eyeroll.
I usually tell the wife, "You do it your way, I'll do it mine", or "Who's doing this? Me or you?"

Then I run out of the room. :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back