Sealing the lid.... what does it take?

As my 700 as gotten some miles on it, i noticed my lid isn't quite as tight as it was when i got it. a hair difference, but enough that i see smoke coming out of the top and the front a bit. I bought the sealing/gasket tape on amazon and was planning to put it on and realized i didn't think through it... i have build up at the seals. (probably causing the smoke to escape).

I tried degreaser and paper towel... didn't work. I tried a light grain scouring pad. Didn't get it done. I don't want to push it too far. On the stainless part it isn't that big of deal. if i scratch it a bit the gasket will hide it. BUt the lid side and paint makes me nervous. Anyone have any recommendations? How far should i go? Ok to really sand it a bit to get a clean surface and purchase for the gasket tape?

Any thoughs?
Just did mine today. I used the cleaner I use on my fireplace glass to clean the Bull where the gasket goes. All went smoothly. I did the rest of the bull and it looks great. I’ll be smoking tomorrow.

wouldn’t the PID adjust the temp automatically? Isn’t that what they are supposed to do?

Apparently, the minimum feed rate is a user set threshold the PID cannot go below, regardless of temperature. I believe they provide this to prevent flame out when the PID is seeking a lower temperature than the pit is actually at, as in when you first turn it down from a high temperature. For example, if you were running at 400F and dial down to 225F, the PID would say stop putting any pellets in until it reached the target temp. Well, the fire would have completely burned out by then. With a minimum feed rate, pellets would continue to feed at some predetermined rate even with the pit above the new set temperature, and it would come down slowly.

After a bunch of cooks, my Bull is starting to leak smoke out of the top of the lid. I'm going to see if it needs to be cleaned, if not, I'm ready to seal the lid. I have leftover from sealing my Big Green Egg. Does anyone see any any downside?

I may be asking the obvious, but why would anyone need to seal the lid after either a few or bunch of cooks? Warping and deformation of inferior metal composing the lid and/or the body?

@Savage Bull ...I don't believe any "NEEDS" to seal the lid. It just keeps the grill looking nicer longer and easier to clean. It also keeps the smoke that wouldve escaped in the chamber longer. (How much this affects cooks is probably minimal) This is a normal thing on most Name Brands this style. (Smoke escaping) Some don't seal their kids or clean them for that matter. To me it's more of a "I spent this much on this item, I'm going to keep it as nice as I can for as long as I can"

Also, I think it would provide a bit more margin for those that use their grills in low temperatures. In all cases, I would expect an improvement in the pellet efficiency at any setting. I believe this also caused my side box temps to increase at LO when smoking cheese. I had to use more ice for the same cook. On my Bull, there was quite a leak across the top of the lid.

Last edited:
I was considering sealing to help keep the barrel clean, but called Rec Tec before I did. While it does not void the warranty, they do not recommend sealing. The guy I talked to said that there is a need for some heat to escape and just having the chimney and grease chute isn't enough. I don't know about any of that, but figured I would leave it be and just clean the barrel (until I don't care so much about the aesthetics). I totally get why folks would seal it, and it doesn't sound like the ones that have see any issues. I just wanted to add what I learned to the thread.

I was considering sealing to help keep the barrel clean, but called Rec Tec before I did. While it does not void the warranty, they do not recommend sealing. The guy I talked to said that there is a need for some heat to escape and just having the chimney and grease chute isn't enough. I don't know about any of that, but figured I would leave it be and just clean the barrel (until I don't care so much about the aesthetics). I totally get why folks would seal it, and it doesn't sound like the ones that have see any issues. I just wanted to add what I learned to the thread.
That has to be a bunch of BS. Poor design and they are covering it up. Well they can't cover it up because unless you seal the lid then every time you look at the grill you see the ugliness.
Like the guy here who just had a lid sent to him because it did not fit right (seal). My Traeger
that was one of the original builds wasn't sealed per se but it sat flush with the body.
RT customer service is bar none but when it comes the lid they are just full of it.
Not getting on you KingB and appreciate you sharing what you learned.
Nothing in the world is perfect (except maybe some of our cooks!) and that goes for the Bull as well.
Horns Out!

O don't think it's a poor design,. It do think it was BS...lol I haven't had any issues or changes in mine after sealing the lid.

Agree the sealing is fine. I bought the lifetime lavalock so in 5 years when it looks like crap I can replace it. I got the lifetime because I thought the adhesive might fail but after using it I don't think that will be a problem.

As my 700 as gotten some miles on it, i noticed my lid isn't quite as tight as it was when i got it. a hair difference, but enough that i see smoke coming out of the top and the front a bit. I bought the sealing/gasket tape on amazon and was planning to put it on and realized i didn't think through it... i have build up at the seals. (probably causing the smoke to escape).

I tried degreaser and paper towel... didn't work. I tried a light grain scouring pad. Didn't get it done. I don't want to push it too far. On the stainless part it isn't that big of deal. if i scratch it a bit the gasket will hide it. BUt the lid side and paint makes me nervous. Anyone have any recommendations? How far should i go? Ok to really sand it a bit to get a clean surface and purchase for the gasket tape?

Any thoughs?

My new 700 wil be delivered on Tuesday. I've already bought LovaLock gasket tape tho put on before I ever use the grill. I'll clean any oil off with rubbing alcohol and the tape will never move. My Memphis Pro came with gaskets installed. They do help with keeping the smoke in and the stains off.

I only sealed the upper and lower areas on the lid, this matches up with the slightly recessed area on the barrels main body. I mainly did it to keep the outside of the barrel cleaner. I still get a little smoke leakage from the side of the lid around the barrels end caps. I thought that this would be a great compromise on RecTec Grills saying not to seal the lid. I used Fire Black

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200502-061727_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-061727_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 108
I did mine also just for cleanliness. I don't think it will alter anything else. Not more smoke,
not more temp.

I just purchased the lavarock XTR, wanna get ahead of the gunk on the outside. wife said, is it supposed to look like that after what we paid for it?? I had to agree with her, going to do my all weather vents also..I too wish i did this when it was new, but I'm only three cooks into it.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-High-Temp-Vision-Replacement-Correct/dp/B01N1QKCR2
Had enough left over to seal hopper lid too..keep moister out. ( Not that it's needed)
Just sealed my grill lid and was wondering about the hopper lid and have a few questions if you don’t mind. Did you use Lava Lock? Did you seal all the way around the lid? Did Does the hopper lid close flush?

I’m assuming you applied it to the inside of the stainless lid as there’s no good place to put it on the lip of the hopper.

Thanks!

Just sealed my grill lid and was wondering about the hopper lid and have a few questions if you don’t mind. Did you use Lava Lock? Did you seal all the way around the lid? Did Does the hopper lid close flush?

I’m assuming you applied it to the inside of the stainless lid as there’s no good place to put it on the lip of the hopper.

Thanks!
Yes to all your questions.
BA058BF6-3951-4EB3-BE12-08CE3601A0EE.jpeg

I didn't think about doing the hopper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back