Savannah Stoker

treej69

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I got to the point where I can't do the 70 degree swing anymore. Iv tried everything with this. Replaced the controller two times. Played with all the settings burned up two bags of pellets.. Im sick of playing with this damn controller. I love the design. The controller leaves so much to be desired. Well im installing a Savannah Stoker. I will not put a brisket or big piece of meat on this cooker. It will turn out to be Jerky. Sorry Rec Tec, but this controller is a major failure. Need something better.

I use my Trailblazer for big meat and low and slow. The Bullseye for wings, chicken, burgers etc.

Let us know how the controller works.

This is one of the units I would consider to add to my collection. It hurts to hear you are having these issues. Maybe a better controller will come out and they offer some upgrade? Would love to see the 380 be a success as its design overall is great. Hope it works out in the end.

This is one of the units I would consider to add to my collection. It hurts to hear you are having these issues. Maybe a better controller will come out and they offer some upgrade? Would love to see the 380 be a success as its design overall is great. Hope it works out in the end.
I think the Bullseye would compliment your herd. I had a broken sensor due to shipping and RT took care of it.

Install went well just need a 1x3 piece of wood for a spacer. Now to just dial it in.

Attachments

• 20210122_164136.jpg
    20210122_164136.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
  • 20210122_164125.jpg
    20210122_164125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • 20210122_154323.jpg
    20210122_154323.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Gonna do a burn tomorrow with the auber and graph the temp to see how accurate it holds to 225. I hope it holds to within 5 degrees. Will see though, probably need to adjust a bit. Is what it is.

Gonna do a burn tomorrow with the auber and graph the temp to see how accurate it holds to 225. I hope it holds to within 5 degrees. Will see though, probably need to adjust a bit. Is what it is.

I give you a ton of credit for going through this. I'm very interested in the results. Not everyone would go through with it. Only one way to find out. Hoping the results are spot on.

@treej69 what are you going to do with the old controller, interested.

I had a Savannah Stoker on my Traeger (BBQ075). I sold the package over New Years to buy the Bull and picked up the Bullseye while waiting. The Savannah Stoker is good, but must be dialed in. With the outdoor winter temp swings I was constantly changing settings to maintain a stable smoke. It would be an interesting install on the Bullseye. One thing to note is the SS is not waterproof (Most guys use a Pyle marine radio cover to protect it from the rain).

I had a Savannah Stoker on my Traeger (BBQ075). I sold the package over New Years to buy the Bull and picked up the Bullseye while waiting. The Savannah Stoker is good, but must be dialed in. With the outdoor winter temp swings I was constantly changing settings to maintain a stable smoke. It would be an interesting install on the Bullseye. One thing to note is the SS is not waterproof (Most guys use a Pyle marine radio cover to protect it from the rain).

I had a SS on a Traeger too. It was a nice controller, but man, I was fiddling with auger %s and auto-tuning every time the weather changed 15 degrees. I just never could get it "dialed" in for any length of time. I ended up giving it to my neighbor, his Traeger rocks n rolls 3 days a week. He loves it.

Moral of the story..... be careful with the SS. It's a nice control, but if your ADD, OCD, or just can't help but fiddle with stuff, you may be in for a few headaches.

My 590 has been a much more relaxed experience. Love it.

I think a Trailblazer would be a better smoker. The Bullseye is more of a hot fast experience. I don't know if I would ever expect it to be a great smoker.

I think a Trailblazer would be a better smoker. The Bullseye is more of a hot fast experience. I don't know if I would ever expect it to be a great smoker.

This a fact. I think the Trailblazer is the most underrated grill RT has. If it had easier access to flip burgers and chicken I would not have the Bullseye.
It was 20 degrees outside yesterday and the Trailblazer got to 500 degrees in 17 minutes!! In full mode I have reached 600 in the past when I wanted to see how hot it would get.

For reference my bullseye does not get to 250 that fast most of the time. I use it for wings, burgers, chicken and steaks. It does give a great smoky flavor.

This a fact. I think the Trailblazer is the most underrated grill RT has...
I agree with that. I’m surprised at just how much I’m using my wife’s since she bought it in December. However, I would not want to give up the Bullseye-having the pair side-by-side is just so convenient to cook entire meals on.

How is this working out? Just wondering.. thx.

Weather has been crappy so I haven't been playing with it. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll fill it up and get to do an auto tune.
I'm curious how you make out with the controller. I thought my Bullseye was going to another home but hasn't happened yet so I may be looking for options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back