San Diego Checking In

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Matt here! Checking in from San Diego. I know you all ASSume San Diego has perfect weather and are feeling jealous because it may be starting to get cold where you are, but here we only have 2 real seasons. Warm and intolerably HOT and today we're experiencing a serious case of HOT!

It's 100 outside my house and my AC, which is 40 years old, has decided it will no longer work when it's above 95 degrees outside so it's on strike today. I'm also working from home because of the pandemic and all so I'm tolerating the 84 degrees it is inside. Could always be worse, right? In case you were wondering, we've signed a contract to have the entire HVAC system replaced in our house and hope to have it installed and keeping us frigid by Halloween. 🎃

Speaking of the pandemic, since I can't spend my $ on travel or going out to eat and because I'm going to write a huge AC replacement check soon and be forced to cook at home ALL of the time, I figured I should invest in something to assist me in cooking and smoking so I ordered a RT-590 Stampede last Friday, September 25th. I also added the front folding shelf and the additional small interior cooking shelf as well just in case I ever need more room. I opted for the competition cart special too. I wanted to get the griddle, but it was out of stock.

I've spent nearly every free minute since placing the order reading about pellet grills and watching the RT YouTube channel. Watching the videos of all their accessories made me realize I also need the Sear Kit and a couple mesh cooking mats so I placed an order for those last night.

We cook outside on the old gas grill a lot and only expect that to increase once my Stampede shows up. I'm very much an inexperienced, rule following back yard BBQer so I'm going to do the break in burn as recommended as well as chicken thighs as the first meal.

I hope my orders will be here by the middle of October and then I'm sure I'll have a never ending supply of, sometimes dumb, questions for you all!

Welcome to the smoke pit San Diego. I’m in the OC and my rule is we Cali folk can never complain about the weather. Also, I am issuing you your first grilling challenge because we should never let anyone outshine our outdoor grilling experiences because we can practice every day of the year. Its kind of like watching someone from back East beating us at beach volleyball. It happens, it hurts, and you never forget it. Haha.

Happy grilling my friend. See you at the beaches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back