Rumor has it Recteq is getting new investors

The good and evil of patents. Sounds like led lights in the aquarium industry. Some unknown company many years ago filed a patent for putting leds in a "hood" above an aquarium to light it. They never actually built one or from what I know even attempted to. Several years later leds actually started being produced in the spectrum that could be used over marine aquariums and a couple of companies pioneered innovative led lights for the marine industry. These were not cheap, costing thousands depending on the size of aquarium you were lighting, but they started to become popular. Then out of nowhere this company pops on the scene and says we own this patent for lighting aquariums with leds and all of you now owe us license fees for all the lights you have previously sold. They basically bankrupted most of the companies, and they still to this day have never actually produced a product.

A good patent lawyer should be able to get those patents invalidated due to prior art. But GMG and others need to hire lawyers who specialize in patent law if they want any chance at it.
You would think but it also depends on the court system. A few years ago both of the Apple stores closed near me and they opened new locations on the other side of the metroplex. Seemed really odd since this area for the most part is very affluent, at least in their spending. Both of those Apple stores were packed every time I went by them so I couldn't figure out why they had closed them and no one I asked knew either. Finally their was a local news article published that discussed it. Apparently both of those stores were located in the same federal court district and that court almost always sided with the plaintiff in patent cases. So everyone that had a good lawyer that was bringing a patent case against Apple would sue in that court district. With Apple closing both stores they no longer had a presence in that district so no one could sue them in that district court.
I hate how vague you can be on these patents and get away saying you own this "idea". Our system really needs a good overhaul. Companies shouldn't exist just living off patents they buy. But that is just my opinion and I know it is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

You would think but it also depends on the court system. A few years ago both of the Apple stores closed near me and they opened new locations on the other side of the metroplex. Seemed really odd since this area for the most part is very affluent, at least in their spending. Both of those Apple stores were packed every time I went by them so I couldn't figure out why they had closed them and no one I asked knew either. Finally their was a local news article published that discussed it. Apparently both of those stores were located in the same federal court district and that court almost always sided with the plaintiff in patent cases. So everyone that had a good lawyer that was bringing a patent case against Apple would sue in that court district. With Apple closing both stores they no longer had a presence in that district so no one could sue them in that district court.
I hate how vague you can be on these patents and get away saying you own this "idea". Our system really needs a good overhaul. Companies shouldn't exist just living off patents they buy. But that is just my opinion and I know it is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
The Eastern District of Texas Federal courts need a major house cleaning, they are patent troll central. That Traeger didn't file suit there is a good thing IMO.

Yeah, the US patent system is a mess especially when it comes to software. With physical devices there are a limited number of ways things can effectively be done; but not so much with software and the same guidelines don't fit.

Hey Recteq Family,

Ron and I wanted to give you an update as promised. Recteq has formed a partnership with a private equity firm and they have made a large investment in our company! The new partners are committed to providing us with resources to help us expand the recteq family. That said, our roles in the company have not changed. We are still recteq!

Our new partners are acutely aware that our success has been a direct result of our unparalleled commitment to quality and customer service. Together, we have no desire to change our core values or the culture of recteq. In fact, to use their words, they consider this to be our “secret sauce.” They simply want to be a part of this exciting journey and help us take recteq to the next level.

This partnership will create a better experience for everyone in the recteq family. Our entire operation will benefit from this new partnership, all the way from logistics, to quality and costs. This won’t happen overnight, but will be a process that evolves over time as we strive to be better year after year.
This decision did not come lightly and we are 100% certain that we made a great choice for the entire recteq family. We are asking you to trust our judgment and know that we haven’t let you down in the past, and won’t in the future.

As for the armchair quarterbacks out there that have this all figured out (😉 you know who you are), we only ask that you keep your negativity and wild speculation to yourself and watch our “smoke.” We won’t disappoint you, because “this ain’t no game!” Like we’ve said before, buckle up, because we are just getting started! Thank you for the continued support and being the best customers on earth.
Sincerely,

Ray Carnes and Ron Cundy

Post from recteq Facebook

Hey Recteq Family,

Ron and I wanted to give you an update as promised. Recteq has formed a partnership with a private equity firm and they have made a large investment in our company! The new partners are committed to providing us with resources to help us expand the recteq family. That said, our roles in the company have not changed. We are still recteq!

Our new partners are acutely aware that our success has been a direct result of our unparalleled commitment to quality and customer service. Together, we have no desire to change our core values or the culture of recteq. In fact, to use their words, they consider this to be our “secret sauce.” They simply want to be a part of this exciting journey and help us take recteq to the next level.

This partnership will create a better experience for everyone in the recteq family. Our entire operation will benefit from this new partnership, all the way from logistics, to quality and costs. This won’t happen overnight, but will be a process that evolves over time as we strive to be better year after year.
This decision did not come lightly and we are 100% certain that we made a great choice for the entire recteq family. We are asking you to trust our judgment and know that we haven’t let you down in the past, and won’t in the future.
As for the armchair quarterbacks out there that have this all figured out (😉 you know who you are), we only ask that you keep your negativity and wild speculation to yourself and watch our “smoke.” We won’t disappoint you, because “this ain’t no game!” Like we’ve said before, buckle up, because we are just getting started! Thank you for the continued support and being the best customers on earth.
Sincerely,
Ray Carnes and Ron Cundy

post from recteq Facebook
Thanks for posting this for us folks that are not on Facebook. (y)

Last edited:
All we can do is HOPE they stick to their statements !!!
I've seen it go the other way so many times, small successful companies sell off stock to companies large enough to put them out of business & soil their good names. Sometimes money talks loud enough to not worry about the final results. I don't know them personally but Ron & Ray don't strike me as the type to sell out their dream & success ... but only time will tell for "us" the customer base.

Thanks for posting this for us folks that are not on Facebook. (y)
I read that post earlier in FB. It said a lot but I didn't see what I think most of us was hoping to see. Who has the final say? I might of missed it. I have AAD and have trouble reading long post.

All we can do is HOPE they stick to their statements !!!
I've seen it go the other way so many times, small successful companies sell off stock to companies large enough to put them out of business & soil their good names. Sometimes money talks loud enough to not worry about the final results. I don't know them personally but Ron & Ray don't strike me as the type to sell out their dream & success ... but only time will tell for "us" the customer base.
Very well said!

Hate to hear they sold out. I appreciate that I was supporting a family owned company. I hope they don’t change the micro polished bull horns to some old scurvy yak horns!

That FB post sounds like a lot of marriages, and we know how a lot of those end. Of course as it stated, we can speculate all we want, but history isn't on their side. Most "partnerships" start out this way but it is hard to keep that feeling going. If that partner is a big company they can quickly forget all the little things that make the little company great, especially when profits start getting squeezed. If that partner is publicly traded, all bets are off. I can't tell you how many companies I've seen my employer buy that they "were going to be hands off and let them keep doing what they are doing" only to dismantle them in a year or 2. I just hope they don't want to make them the rolls royce of world and jack prices up.

That FB post sounds like a lot of marriages, and we know how a lot of those end. Of course as it stated, we can speculate all we want, but history isn't on their side. Most "partnerships" start out this way but it is hard to keep that feeling going. If that partner is a big company they can quickly forget all the little things that make the little company great, especially when profits start getting squeezed. If that partner is publicly traded, all bets are off. I can't tell you how many companies I've seen my employer buy that they "were going to be hands off and let them keep doing what they are doing" only to dismantle them in a year or 2. I just hope they don't want to make them the rolls royce of world and jack prices up.
Let's hope they offer the "Welcome to the new Recteq" where the grills are 25% off ;)

Let's hope they offer the "Welcome to the new Recteq" where the grills are 25% off ;)

I would hope to at least see some good packages come back but doubt it as long as sales seem to be going strong. I thought with all that has been going on I would see people saving money but from what I've witnessed, it seems people are spending more and on things they normally wouldn't buy. I never thought I would see $1600 video cards selling out within minutes every time they come in stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back