Rumor has it Recteq is getting new investors

I guess I'm holding my opinion until something actually comes out of this. Right now it's all rumors and by the way Ray talks in the quote above something that is in the works but hasn't been finalized.

To me I think it would be a huge difference on WHO the investor is... is it just some big investor company with no ties to grilling then that could be more concerning than say someone like say Weber who obviously has been in the grilling market forever.

Really I'd just like to see this play out a bit more and see. I think I share the same fears of everyone else but right now it's far to early to tell in my opinion.

Just because the investor has ties to the grilling market doesn't mean quality won't suffer. Oklahoma Joes today is a joke compared to what it was in the 90s when Joe still owned and ran it out of Stillwater, OK.

Just because the investor has ties to the grilling market doesn't mean quality won't suffer. Oklahoma Joes today is a joke compared to what it was in the 90s when Joe still owned and ran it out of Stillwater, OK.
If it's Trilantic Capital Partners we're in trouble.

So do you remember when Recteq would not take pre orders on the Bullseye. It really upset tons of people. They said they legally could not do that.

But Grilla Grills has been allowing pre orders on their primate.

Basically RT had to keep sales and the books matching. If they are selling or taking on a partner, pre orders would look like they were artificially inflating sales.

Just a thought.

Easy does it guys! You never know what is around the corner until you make the turn. They are already making all their products in China. Maybe they will be coming home? Maybe higher quality? Who knows. I will be happy just to have my current pits and still get good service. We shall see. Good luck to RC and RC.

So do you remember when Recteq would not take pre orders on the Bullseye. It really upset tons of people. They said they legally could not do that.

But Grilla Grills has been allowing pre orders on their primate.

Basically RT had to keep sales and the books matching. If they are selling or taking on a partner, pre orders would look like they were artificially inflating sales.

Just a thought.
Do you have any experience with Grilla Grills? They have a local store and I've been tempted to check it out but I know I would most likely walk out with a new grill. I wish there was some way I could see a recteq in person so I could compare.

Do you have any experience with Grilla Grills? They have a local store and I've been tempted to check it out but I know I would most likely walk out with a new grill. I wish there was some way I could see a recteq in person so I could compare.
My co-worker regretted his 590 purchase after seeing the Grilla. The two points that he made was water coming in the top of the 590 and lack of insulation.

I have looked at the Grilla Grills and like them. The Silverbac with the storage space and lower price is attractive. It looks like the refined version of my Frankenstein.

I do not have any experience with Grilla. I considered them when I bought my RT. I do get their weekly newsletter for the recipes.

My decision points at the time:
WiFi - Grilla did not have it, that was a deal killer
The tremendous following of RT buyers
MI had Grilla shut down as non essential
GA gave us Fields, felt obliged to spend some money there vs spending any money in MI :)

I have had zero issues with my Trailblazer. WiFi works just fine. I have the all weather vents so water is not on issue in the rain. I didn't think the insulation is a big deal since it is only on the bottom half of the drum. I knew in winter I would need a blanket over the grill either way in the winter.

I do not have any experience with Grilla. I considered them when I bought my RT. I do get their weekly newsletter for the recipes.

My decision points at the time:
WiFi - Grilla did not have it, that was a deal killer
The tremendous following of RT buyers
MI had Grilla shut down as non essential
GA gave us Fields, felt obliged to spend some money there vs spending any money in MI :)

I have had zero issues with my Trailblazer. WiFi works just fine. I have the all weather vents so water is not on issue in the rain. I didn't think the insulation is a big deal since it is only on the bottom half of the drum. I knew in winter I would need a blanket over the grill either way in the winter.
Thanks, all this time looking at them I had not realized the controller was not wifi. Not sure why that never registered. That is definitely one of the top requirements when I buy. I do like how easy the hopper is to clean out on theirs but I like that the RT700 hold 40lbs. I guess now I'm down to the Recteq or a Yoder. Looking at cars right now so I have to see what that does to my finances before I make my final decision. Replacing mine plus need to pick up a cheap one for my son.

I think that was a partnership to sell pellets, but maybe there is more to it.

If Kingsford I can't say I'd be upset about that. Again I'd MUCH rather the "investor" be someoen in the grilling industry much more than say someone on wall street looking for nothing more than greed.
I think describing investors as greedy is unfair. Investing is done to make money. Same reason you put money into the stock market on your 401K. Or buy real estate, antiques,or etc. If there was no goal to make a profit, there would be no business period. Value of money has always gone down over time, thus the need to invest wisely when you can. We would still be in the dark ages. (maybe we are?). Some invest for a living. Most on average loose money in the process. Unfortunately, not all investments are good for the consumer of the product. Such is life. Sorry for the critique.

I think describing investors as greedy is unfair. Investing is done to make money. Same reason you put money into the stock market on your 401K. Or buy real estate, antiques,or etc. If there was no goal to make a profit, there would be no business period. Value of money has always gone down over time, thus the need to invest wisely when you can. We would still be in the dark ages. (maybe we are?). Some invest for a living. Most on average loose money in the process. Unfortunately, not all investments are good for the consumer of the product. Such is life. Sorry for the critique.
Clearly you missed that I was using generalization. Sure not all investing is bad, but there is a clear difference in investing in something to make it grow and investing only to milk every last penny out that you can.

It's this type of "investing" that has so many people concerned.

Thus my generalization - it would be great to see someone in the industry (or even that wants to see it grow even bigger) vs a group that's only looking to milk the cow dry.

At any rate, there is still a lot of unknowns and at this point all we can do it wait and see.

No investor is going to dump money in without having a say. My guess is a cheaper product (thinner steel?) with increased margins. I watched this happen to another company last year with an awesome product. They got bought out and now have taken a back burner on quality. All the chatter on the forums died about the once awesome product. The very little talk now on the forums is how the quality has dropped. No more rave reviews anymore about this product. I bet this happens to Rec Teq, too. I hope not though as a proud owner of two RT grills.
Agreed!

I am super happy with my recteq. I hope this is for the better, not for the worse. When Apple took Microsoft's money, it used it to create a much higher quality product and become the Apple it is today and I love their products. When Allen Edmonds got bought out by PE, quality went to shit and I don't buy their stuff anymore.

Let's see what Recteq does. I don't begrudge them finding investment -- either to scale faster or because it wasn't profitable --- but I hope they are being very selective in who their partner is and what their end goal is.

Maybe they should offer stock? Current owners would likely buy stock but the owners would retain the main ownership....But that gets comlicated :)

A lot of money to potentially make in stock offering, but also a lot of time and money to invest to get to the point of an IPO. And at that point you are beholden to the quarterly shot clock by Wall Street; if you aren't meeting or exceeding your outlook the valuation is going to take a hit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back