Stampede Rub question

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have been using Head Country Sweet and Spicy rub and like it. Was wondering if anyone else has used it and how it compares with Meat Church and Recteq rubs. The latter cost twice as much as the Head Country and just wondering if it’s worth it.

I haven't tried their rubs, but I do like their BBQ sauce. So does Matt evidently, since one of his recipes uses it.

You really cannot go wrong with the Meat Church rubs. If you order a pack from their website, it's cheaper than buying it at amazon or elsewhere.

I make my own and seldom use store bought rubs. I can make a couple pounds for the amount of money people charge for their rubs.
I do the same buying basic bulk spices. Most commercial rubs are mostly salt, which just so happens to be very inexpensive. Don't get me wrong, I've bought several different commercial rubs to try them out, but you're really paying a lot for seasoned salt, though they are convenient.

Everyone likes something different. I prefer Rudy's rub for my brisket because it uses a lot of pepper. I have way too many rubs in my cabinet. Luckily the wife doesn't mind as long as I don't bring home another grill. I'm lucky because Bucees carries a lot of the local Texas rubs. I currently really like the Voodoo rub from Meatchurch. If I'm doing cajun, which is a lot, then I prefer Pat's of Henderson but it is impossible to get right now. My main 2 brands are Meatchurch and Sucklebusters which are both sort of in the DFW area.

My biggest problem is I experiment almost every time I smoke something so I forget what I ended up liking. I'm also bad about combining different seasonings.

I use this recipe to make the rub and sauce. Easy and very good. Like everything just add or Adjust to suit your taste. Part or smoking is to experiment. Keep a note book with your process to keep,improving and know what to do or shouldn’t the next time

Attachments

• BB937DE9-27CB-407D-9C1E-818F65F94E63.jpeg
    BB937DE9-27CB-407D-9C1E-818F65F94E63.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 0EC21E65-AECB-4BEB-9018-56553FD7FABE.jpeg
    0EC21E65-AECB-4BEB-9018-56553FD7FABE.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 105
I use this recipe to make the rub and sauce. Easy and very good. Like everything just add or Adjust to suit your taste. Part or smoking is to experiment. Keep a note book with your process to keep,improving and know what to do or shouldn’t the next time
Love a good rub!

I do the same buying basic bulk spices. Most commercial rubs are mostly salt, which just so happens to be very inexpensive. Don't get me wrong, I've bought several different commercial rubs to try them out, but you're really paying a lot for seasoned salt, though they are convenient.
I used to buy commercial to figure out the ingredients I prefer, now I make my own and I can adjust to get my flavors right. I love smoked paprika but commercial rubs don't have enough and I can get bulk paprika and smoke myself, I will put on side while smoking pork or steak and that adds a meat flavor, same with sea salt.

Lot's of good books on rubs and sauces on the market and can be found on the web for free. A book of whole bunch of award winning rub and sauce recipes can be had for the price of a small jar of a single rub and is worth every penny. Never go back to store bought rubs and sauces...

I must like all the additives they put in the rubs and sauces. I've tried to make several and I always throw them out because I don't like them. Just easier to buy different ones. Plus easier to try different flavors. Like just this weekend I picked up a sweet teriyaki rub. Much cheaper in my book to spend $6 for it then my time researching, buying the ingredients and then preparing them.

I use Head Country Rub on nearly everything. I used to make my own rubs but got tired of all the hassle of buying different ingredients. I honestly can't tell a lot of difference in most of the rubs. Most all of them use the same basic ingredients.

I use Head Country Rub on nearly everything. I used to make my own rubs but got tired of all the hassle of buying different ingredients. I honestly can't tell a lot of difference in most of the rubs. Most all of them use the same basic ingredients.
Thanks! You are the only one that actually answered my question. Confirms what I suspected. I’ve compared ingredients in several different brands and the Head Country seems to have more ingredients that I prefer. I’ve heard their BBQ sauce is good too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back