RT700: Where to position the Grill Grates?

hogan1953

Hi guys,

Have had my 700 for a week or so now and have only done some minor cooks— burgers and chops. Have to experiment to achieve a better sear which I’m hoping is possible.

I own a set of Grill Grates for my gas grill that also fit perfectly on the 700. I‘ve put a couple of them onto my 700 covering perhaps 25% of the grill surface. My question is, in your experience is it best to place the grill grates in the center right over the fire pot or off to one of the sides? What positioning will get them the hottest to achieve the best sear? Where should I position them?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

Have had my 700 for a week or so now and have only done some minor cooks— burgers and chops. Have to experiment to achieve a better sear which I’m hoping is possible.

I own a set of Grill Grates for my gas grill that also fit perfectly on the 700. I‘ve put a couple of them onto my 700 covering perhaps 25% of the grill surface. My question is, in your experience is it best to place the grill grates in the center right over the fire pot or off to one of the sides? What positioning will get them the hottest to achieve the best sear? Where should I position them?

Thanks in advance!
Placing the GriilGrates on the grill so the grease will drain on the drip tray is more important.

I usually put mine on the right side, but that's because I smoke steaks, etc for a bit on the left side before searing.

I'm right handed, so......there's no inherent decision here other than preference. 😬

Placing the GriilGrates on the grill so the grease will drain on the drip tray is more important.
Be mindful that if grease from burgers (or anything that has decent fat content) drips off the grill grates that it's dripping onto your drip tray of the 590. I (unfortunately) discovered what can happen if that grease drips down into the bottom near the firepot. Not good! I was using GGs I bought for an old Weber Q3000 model on my pellet grill/smoker (an old one...not my current RT-700). There was an ever-so-slight tilt from front to back. So when the grease dripped into the channels of the GG, it drained to the back of the pellet grill...ever so slightly beyond where my drip tray would catch it.

the right side is were i put them. thats the closest to the drip bucket to get the grease out as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of a grease fire. i have seared as high as 600 but in my opinion 450 seems to be the perfect temp to give a nice sear but not over char the surface
Keep in mind, per the GG documentation, that the GGs will get about 100-150 degrees hotter than the grill itself. So I recommend avoiding trying to get your RT-700 up to 500 degrees. Consider using a laser temp gun to check the surface temp of your GGs. See if it's significantly higher than what your RT is telling you.

Keep in mind, per the GG documentation, that the GGs will get about 100-150 degrees hotter than the grill itself. So I recommend avoiding trying to get your RT-700 up to 500 degrees. Consider using a laser temp gun to check the surface temp of your GGs. See if it's significantly higher than what your RT is telling you.
Yup, I used to use riot mode on my Bullseye with GrillGrates, hard on the grill, the grates, and the food. Anything over 500° on these grills is not necessary, IMO. Others will disagree and I respect that, but temps of 700° or more is insane.

Yup, I used to use riot mode on my Bullseye with GrillGrates, hard on the grill, the grates, and the food. Anything over 500° on these grills is not necessary, IMO. Others will disagree and I respect that, but temps of 700° or more is insane.
...and, my experience has been when I've seared over high heat, the meat tightens up and gets tough. The grill marks are pretty but I'm after taste...and IMHO nothing beats a steak cooked over wood smoke (pellet grill/smoker). And I'm not talking about low and slow with a steak. I'll cook it at 400 degrees right on the RT-700 grate and I'm happy.

thats what its all about bud. we all gotta figure out what works best for each person. i can make pulled pork exactly how i like it nearly every time but i bet its not exactly how you or many others will like it best. for me i really like to sear at 450 for steaks the best unless its a very thick steak like 2in or above (tomahawks) then i will jump it up to 500 because there is no way i will accidentally over cook that big boy. as long as we are cooking what we enjoy eating then we are doing good. i would like to get a laser temp gun, thats a good suggestion to add to the kit. bet i could learn alot from one

Last edited:
I have grill grates, and they work fine, but honestly......after getting a Blackstone.....There ain't no grill grates needed any longer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back