RT700: Where to position the Grill Grates?

hogan1953

Hi guys,

Have had my 700 for a week or so now and have only done some minor cooks— burgers and chops. Have to experiment to achieve a better sear which I’m hoping is possible.

I own a set of Grill Grates for my gas grill that also fit perfectly on the 700. I‘ve put a couple of them onto my 700 covering perhaps 25% of the grill surface. My question is, in your experience is it best to place the grill grates in the center right over the fire pot or off to one of the sides? What positioning will get them the hottest to achieve the best sear? Where should I position them?

Thanks in advance!

Jigsaw

"I want to play a game"
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. RT-680
Hi guys,

Have had my 700 for a week or so now and have only done some minor cooks— burgers and chops. Have to experiment to achieve a better sear which I’m hoping is possible.

I own a set of Grill Grates for my gas grill that also fit perfectly on the 700. I‘ve put a couple of them onto my 700 covering perhaps 25% of the grill surface. My question is, in your experience is it best to place the grill grates in the center right over the fire pot or off to one of the sides? What positioning will get them the hottest to achieve the best sear? Where should I position them?

Thanks in advance!
Placing the GriilGrates on the grill so the grease will drain on the drip tray is more important.

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
the right side is were i put them. thats the closest to the drip bucket to get the grease out as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of a grease fire. i have seared as high as 600 but in my opinion 450 seems to be the perfect temp to give a nice sear but not over char the surface

JGW

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I usually put mine on the right side, but that's because I smoke steaks, etc for a bit on the left side before searing.

I'm right handed, so......there's no inherent decision here other than preference. 😬

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.