RT700 Takes forever (90 minutes) to reach full!

Crusty Rusty

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Bought the Bull back in May. Normally don’t crank it to full but when I do it takes 90 minutes plus to reach 500° or more. Should this be expected? I hope not. What to do? Cause?

Phone call to RT. They can walk you thru troubleshooting.

thats a long time. from what i understand recteq expects the grills to hit 500 in 30 min. they will ask you if your pellets are good and if you have a seal on the lid. some of us have installed faster auger motors to help with this but they don’t sale them anymore. it’s possible you could call them and they may give you a faster auger motor under warranty.

thats a long time. from what i understand recteq expects the grills to hit 500 in 30 min. they will ask you if your pellets are good and if you have a seal on the lid. some of us have installed faster auger motors to help with this but they don’t sale them anymore. it’s possible you could call them and they may give you a faster auger motor under warranty.
Great! Thank you!

Great! Thank you!
Spoke with customer service. We adjusted the auger speed however the representative said it should take 45 minutes to an hour to reach 400 degrees since the temperature outside is in the 40’s. Still doesn’t seem right to me.

How old are your pellets? Any chance they could have moisture? Been sitting open or in the hopper in a wet environment? Have had this before. Try fresh if so.
Thanks. Pellets are new. Pit Boss brand. Yeah, cheap. Bought Lumberjack last night to see if there’s any difference.

Thanks. Pellets are new. Pit Boss brand. Yeah, cheap. Bought Lumberjack last night to see if there’s any difference.

Yeah.. I use Pit Boss as well but don’t recall taking that long for 400. I ran some tests a while back in cooler temps and recall about an hr just under 500 and struggled to get over 500. I’ll see if I can find that post.

For sure see what the LJ pellets do.. I bet that 3rpm motor would help. I have only done 1 cook since I just got mine so limited on data but from what I saw there it came up quick. I would push them for that 3rpm if you are not happy with LJ.

went back to my tests..

It was 27F out that day and wind chills were making it feel like 20F. This was Jan. 24th 2001.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/riot-mode-for-rt-700.3155/post-33398

I reached from 45F internal (was originally in the garage when I brought it to the cold) to 491F in 65 minutes..

Same day/test period I looked back and reached 404F in 25 minutes. I will post those pics here for comparison.

Started 10:30 AM 45F internal 27F outside w/20F wind chills

Factory auger & settings.. untouched. With Pit Boss Comp Blend Pellets. No blanket.

IMG_8812.PNG

25 min reached 405 @ 10:55

IMG_8822.PNG

Last edited:
So I think they have some explaining to do for you if your LJ's don't compare..

That was with all factory settings and parts..

i don’t know of a way to adjust the auger speed. all i know about is the minimum feed rate which only tells the auger what the least amount of times per minute it can turn on and run at its fixed rate is. could you tell use what you were instructed to do please. they could be a hidden feature i don’t know about. im very interested

i don’t know of a way to adjust the auger speed. all i know about is the minimum feed rate which only tells the auger what the least amount of times per minute it can turn on and run at its fixed rate is. could you tell use what you were instructed to do please. they could be a hidden feature i don’t know about. im very interested
I'm with you @chadinsc I bet it's MFR.

Bought the Bull back in May. Normally don’t crank it to full but when I do it takes 90 minutes plus to reach 500° or more. Should this be expected? I hope not. What to do? Cause?
No. I cooked a 7 bone-in rib roast & reaching 500 took about 3 minutes in 24 degrees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back