RT590 / RT700

itsahog

Getting ready to order a pellet grill, definitely have it narrowed down to Rec Teq. I go way overboard doing my research. A little history, I’ve been cooking on a big steel keg, For those of you who don’t know it’s very similar to a big green egg. i’ve got 10 years out of my keg, been very happy with it, produces great food. But, I’m looking for something to cook with that does not require so much attention, in other words set it and forget it type of thing. My research is showing me that I don’t expect the same type of smoke flavor from a pellet grill, and I don’t mean that as an offensive statement, I think it’s just a matter of fact. The advantage is the convenience, and still excellent food from what I’ve been reading. Not looking for a debate regarding that. Here’s my dilemma. For the most part I’m cooking for 3-4 people, although on occasion it could be for more. On my patio I currently have my big steel keg, a Weber kettle, and a gas grill. Each has its own use. I was sold on the RT590, mostly because I’m thinking about adding the camp chef sidekick which can be mounted to the side of the RT 590. But I’m starting to think about the RT 700. Mostly because of the modifications I’m going to have to do to the vents on the RT590, pretty soon I have as much money involved as the RT700. The RT700 would prevent me from any additions, but eliminate the need to modify the vents. Bottom line is, what would you do?

Something to ponder.....while I love my 590, there are many days when I wish I had bought the 700 for the extra space; I am cooking for 2, mostly....

Whichever way you go, I think you're going to enjoy your Rec Teq.

Good luck!

I have RT 590 and it cooks perfect with the vents like they are. One good thing about just having the vents, easy to find a generic cover that will fit.
love my grill

700 is only 6" wider than the 590. Put the all season vents on and no other mods needed. Both are gonna be plenty big enough.

I like the side hopper due to my deck but you will be pleased with either one

Thanks for the replies, for my needs it sounds like the RT 590 will work, and save me some cash. That was the model I had originally planned, but just wanted to get opinions, much appreciated.

700 is only 6" wider than the 590. Put the all season vents on and no other mods needed. Both are gonna be plenty big enough.

Thanks for that info, I did not realize it was only 6 inches wider. That’s good to know.
By the way I’m from North Dakota, appreciate your avatar that’s a cool picture with the pheasant. Also I know what Wslayer stands for ... I miss Sakakawea and setting the hook in walleyes!

Thanks for the replies, for my needs it sounds like the RT 590 will work, and save me some cash. That was the model I had originally planned, but just wanted to get opinions, much appreciated.
Sounds like you have been thoughtful and chosen what fits your needs. You can always pick up a 2nd shelf from RT or another source to increase capacity, if needed. Good luck and enjoy.

Sounds like you have been thoughtful and chosen what fits your needs. You can always pick up a 2nd shelf from RT or another source to increase capacity, if needed. Good luck and enjoy.
I did just that. I purchased 2. Can put 3 racks of ribs on bottom and 2 sides on the racks if needed.

@itsahog if you are from North Dakota you might want to think about the 700 has a cold weather blanket (when in stock) and the 590 does not. Several on this forum with 590s have created their own but it is something to consider, especially in cold weather areas.

itsahog : Welcome! Nice to see someone else with a Big Steel Keg cooker. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years now and just bought the RT-590 in June this summer. Very happy with it so far. I will say I love having both and they each have their niches for best use. I tend to break out the BSK more for higher-heat stuff now, like pizza, steak, etc., but haven't used it as much for low-and-slow cooks due to the convenience of the RT. It's nice to have both in case I somehow want more room when cooking low-n-slow for a big picnic, for example, though haven't had a need for that yet. Your summary is pretty accurate - you won't get much of that traditional "charcoal smoke" flavor on the RT, but there is a decent wood smoke flavor nonetheless. As far as modifying the vents on the RT, I agree with Wslayer. You can purchase the all-weather vents from RT for ~$24 total, maybe throw on some high-temp gasket and be done, so no real mod necessary. Also, if you already have the BSK and a gasser, I'm not sure how necessary or convenient the Camp Chef mod would be, but that's a personal choice. In no way has the RT-590 fully replaced my beloved BSK, and I think they complement each other well. Whichever you choose between the 590 or 700, you really can't go wrong with RT. Enjoy!

@itsahog if you are from North Dakota you might want to think about the 700 has a cold weather blanket (when in stock) and the 590 does not. Several on this forum with 590s have created their own but it is something to consider, especially in cold weather areas.

LOL.... i’m from North Dakota, work has transferred me to Oklahoma!! No worries about cold here, I can promise you that.

itsahog : Welcome! Nice to see someone else with a Big Steel Keg cooker. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years now and just bought the RT-590 in June this summer. Very happy with it so far. I will say I love having both and they each have their niches for best use. I tend to break out the BSK more for higher-heat stuff now, like pizza, steak, etc., but haven't used it as much for low-and-slow cooks due to the convenience of the RT. It's nice to have both in case I somehow want more room when cooking low-n-slow for a big picnic, for example, though haven't had a need for that yet. Your summary is pretty accurate - you won't get much of that traditional "charcoal smoke" flavor on the RT, but there is a decent wood smoke flavor nonetheless. As far as modifying the vents on the RT, I agree with Wslayer. You can purchase the all-weather vents from RT for ~$24 total, maybe throw on some high-temp gasket and be done, so no real mod necessary. Also, if you already have the BSK and a gasser, I'm not sure how necessary or convenient the Camp Chef mod would be, but that's a personal choice. In no way has the RT-590 fully replaced my beloved BSK, and I think they complement each other well. Whichever you choose between the 590 or 700, you really can't go wrong with RT. Enjoy!

I agree, I can never part ways with my beloved keg! I’ve read a few threads concerning the vents and how to seal them while applying, that will be the first thing I do. Second mod will be building and installing my own Folding shelf on the front, there’s been some very helpful threads concerning that as well. I’ve definitely done my homework, sometimes I get a little overboard on it. Haha

Let your thoughts and your wallet guide your decision. I am also a former stick burner (see picture of my legacy smoker that is 40 years old) and purchased the RT700 Bull. I entertain often and found the extra capacity to come in handy, often. I also like the “tank-like feel of the Bull as I may take my show on the road in the future for cooks at the beach and in the mountains. I’ve never measured the differences in the capacities but I’ve had the Bull pretty loaded a couple of times and appreciated its size. Good luck with your decision and remember whichever you choose, RecTeq family is family regardless of your size or capabilities. Enjoy!

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back