RT340 with front shelf mod & powered by 300-watt solar generator box

MachMarcus

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
51746304242_505d9b11aa_o.jpg
51746304202_b4329ede3c_o.jpg
Christmas gift from "Santa" RT 340 with all the options and pellets. Absolutely LOVE this one. Built front shelf using 304 stainless drop hinge supports and teak wood. Turned out quite nice and very useful. Was curious if this appliance could work off of one of these lithium solar generator boxes as I have a couple for "just in case". Sunday decided to pull out the 300-watt one and give this a try. RT-340 plugged into the box, connected to my wifi and started! Ran it through a complete cycle and ran the heat up to 500 degrees and the unit never drew more than 100 watts at startup, but once it was going, never over 35 watts (fan & auger). Stoked that this can be an additional cooking source if the electricity is down.
51797050012_0a72177bfd_o.jpg
51797050017_812ec52d3e_o.jpg

Mike,

I think this 300 watt could run 30 watts for 8 hours or so on a full charge.

Jigsaw,

If you think that this appliance is just for bbq, you are missing out. I cooked a pot of brisket chili on Friday. Planning pizzas in the future.

ole stonebreaker,

The proper name for these should be lithium battery electricity storage boxes. But currently, it appears that they are named solar generators. Don't ask me why. I have two folding 150 watt solar panels and they can charge these 'solar generators'. They can also be charged with ac 12v power brick or cigarette lighter in an automobile.

You are off to a great start with your RT-340. I really like the folding front shelf. That goes on my mod list.

Interesting information on the power draw too. The “solar generator” setup could be handy in many cases. We have the benefit of a whole-house, 22KW natural-gas-powered generator at our house, so we’re never without power for more than the 15-second switchover time.

Last edited:
I know the first thing I think about is "BBQ" when I lose power.😁
For many here in central Texas last Feb, that would have been awesome to have! A week with no power and roads too icy to go anywhere. Fortunately, my house has gas for the range / oven so we were able to have hot meals and hot showers. The heat didn't work though, so it was a toasty 45-50 degrees in the house most of the time.

View attachment 14162View attachment 14163Christmas gift from "Santa" RT 340 with all the options and pellets. Absolutely LOVE this one. Built front shelf using 304 stainless drop hinge supports and teak wood. Turned out quite nice and very useful.
A couple of questions about your folding shelf mod. First, did you make the teak shelf piece yourself, or use a pre-made teak cutting board? If the latter, could you post a link to where you found it? And, a link to the stainless steels drop hinge would also be helpful.

And, with the shelf folded down, does the OEM Recteq grill cover still fit over the unit?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I did something similar with my RT-340, but haven't fully tried it out yet. I bought a $70 1000w power inverter from Costco and plan to use that with a spare battery (aircraft) I have which "should" give me ~20 hrs of runtime for camping or use in places without power. For now, it's my hangar grill though and an extension cord works for that.

A couple of questions about your folding shelf mod. First, did you make the teak shelf piece yourself, or use a pre-made teak cutting board? If the latter, could you post a link to where you found it? And, a link to the stainless steels drop hinge would also be helpful.

And, with the shelf folded down, does the OEM Recteq grill cover still fit over the unit?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
The teak is a board that I found at Lowes. Cut to fit then utilized teak oil finish.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-ft-Square-Unfinished-Teak-Board/5001689073

And these stainless shelf brackets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BPRNDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The OEM recteq fits perfectly. And the shelf is 10" wide so when folded, the RT 340 will still fold and roll.

That is interesting! Most dont think about power until your 4 hours into cooking your ribs and you loose power! I can tell you from experience. It ruined 3 racks of ribs.

The house we moved from had a backup generator so we never had an issue. The house we are in now does not.

I know it sounds stupid, but I was going to get a small generator. Great Idea!

That is interesting! Most dont think about power until your 4 hours into cooking your ribs and you loose power! I can tell you from experience. It ruined 3 racks of ribs.

The house we moved from had a backup generator so we never had an issue. The house we are in now does not.

I know it sounds stupid, but I was going to get a small generator. Great Idea!
I bought a Honda eu2000 generator some years back as an emergency power source when we have hurricanes/tropical storms that knock out power. I use that generator at least twice a year powering my RT-700 through cooks to keep it “exercised”. The thought is I want to feel confident the generator will work when I have a real emergency need for it.

I bought a Honda eu2000 generator some years back as an emergency power source when we have hurricanes/tropical storms that knock out power. I use that generator at least twice a year powering my RT-700 through cooks to keep it “exercised”. The thought is I want to feel confident the generator will work when I have a real emergency need for it.
I do the same with my Honda eu7000. We don't get hurricanes but Ice and snow can knock the power out for days. I just back feed into the house from the garage, can't even hear it running.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back