RT-Mini Woes

Ducksrus

My mini runs great in temps above 40 deg since the unit was purchased. Issues start when temps drop below 40 such as auger locking up or fan not working. The RT service guys have been helpful up until this year. Sent note to couple of the guys at RT about latest concerns that have helped in past, but they never responded. Think that they are just tired of hearing of my questions for last 6 yrs. Nonetheless, think this latest round of issues is board related. Unit will not run well at low cook temps such as 225-250. Crank to 380-425 & after an hour of warm up it runs pretty well.
Like the grill, but really tired of not being able to use for about- 5 months of year. Has anyone tried a different brand of board and temp sensor? Otherwise may be looking for another grill, which is going to hurt the pocket book.
Thanks, JC

My mini runs great in temps above 40 deg since the unit was purchased. Issues start when temps drop below 40 such as auger locking up or fan not working. The RT service guys have been helpful up until this year. Sent note to couple of the guys at RT about latest concerns that have helped in past, but they never responded. Think that they are just tired of hearing of my questions for last 6 yrs. Nonetheless, think this latest round of issues is board related. Unit will not run well at low cook temps such as 225-250. Crank to 380-425 & after an hour of warm up it runs pretty well.
Like the grill, but really tired of not being able to use for about- 5 months of year. Has anyone tried a different brand of board and temp sensor? Otherwise may be looking for another grill, which is going to hurt the pocket book.
Thanks, JC

Very sorry to hear Recteq are not standing by their product and you are stuck at this point. It seems to be their way lately as they grow we get smaller. I would keep trying to pressure them to at least send you some parts to try instead of blowing you off. There is really not much to these grills.

Don't give up.. you spent your hard earned $ with them and deserve better.

Sent note to couple of the guys at RT about latest concerns that have helped in past, but they never responded.
Why not call recteq instead? The folks that helped you in the past may not be with recteq now, so no one would see your emails. You might also run into a situation where they just don’t have the parts anymore to help, but if that’s the case I would expect them to tell you that.

Thanks, JC
Give RT a call!

Agree, a call probably would be better, just lazy I guess & they had been so responsive in past. Although thought the 2 guys may not have been there, their profiles are on website. Not that the website is up to date though
Thanks

I have always had great service from rec teq in past with with my rt 300 mini. In fact they refurbished the whole thing. My auger would seize up too. Temperature sensor was bad. I found the auger in my grill will seize up if the pellets get even slightly damp. Now I always take them out and let the grill run till it runs out of pellets. I store pellets in the house in controlled humidity and temperature. Haven't had any trouble with auger since. Hope this helps

Not trying to defend Recteq here, but we are talking about a 6-year-old, discontinued model…right? And, it appears that the problem hinges on one unanswered e-mail that could easily have gone astray somewhere…right?

My suggestion is to call them on the phone. It might even take a couple of phone calls to get through as things are a bit scrambled up during this pandemic situation. Relying on e-mail during a time when companies have staffing challenges due to Covid is not going to be productive. Speaking directly to someone is certainly a much better option, even if it takes more effort to make it happen.

The unit started having these issues in its first winter and every one since. Have had several emails and conversations every fall/winter since purchasing the unit. In conversation with RT now, will see what happens.

The unit started having these issues in its first winter and every one since. Have had several emails and conversations every fall/winter since purchasing the unit. In conversation with RT now, will see what happens.
In that case, it sounds like a design issue of some sort. Has the control board ever been replaced? Do you know if replacement boards are still available for that model. Is it possible that the board is the same one as used in the current RT-340? I have a pair of 340s and they have no problem maintaining temperature in cold weather.

I don’t know the specific differences between the 300 and the 340, but are the smoke chambers and auger/fire pot similar in design? Could there be some design reason why the 300 design loses heat in cold weather? You could try using an insulated welding blanket to cover the grill in cold weather and see if that helps.

Not sure of the differences between 300 & 340. Yes, believe have a bad unit & there is something up with controller. That has been my point with RT over last 2-3 yrs. Talking with RT today, I need to call them back when temps are much colder & unit not functioning. Of course it warms up today & unit is running fine. Have read other posts about the blankets, which is an option. When unit cannot get within 30 deg of set pt, mainly on cold days, down to 25-30 deg, and set point below 275, believe something is up with system. One of the RT techs told me their units work well in AK. Will try again next week.

any chance your temp probe is bent and touching the sheet metal sides? a member just had a similar problem with a 1250 and his probe was reading low because it was touching the colder sheet metal sides

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back