Bull RT-700 Smoke Box...YES or NO?

rgaddy67

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
What are your thoughts on the RT-700 smoke box? I see where they are back in stock along with a matching cover. I'm not sure if I "need" one, but I most certainly "want" one! I doubt I'll ever smoke cheese as some people do, but the idea of keeping food warm is definitely a selling point in my book. Let me hear from you of the pros and cons of this unit. Thank-you in advance and hope everyone has a great and safe week ahead.

I can't speak to the pros or cons, but if your primary use case is keeping food warm, a cheap cooler will do that and you may already have one.

I was in the same situation as you are, not sure if I "needed" one. I bought one and I love it. It makes your bull so much more versatile.
I've never used it to "cold smoke" but it's extremely handy if you're making a while meal on your smoker.
You have 4 different temps to cook with when you add the three additional shelves in the box. I've cooked chili, baked beans, mac and cheese, vegetables, fish, etc in the box while something else(meat) is in smoking in the bull. The top of the smoker box gets pretty hot too. You can use it for a warming burner.
I highly recommend it.

My thoughts are very similar to what @Shanejansen80 said, I don’t need the smoke box, bought it because it was part of a package deal that recteq used to offer. However, I don’t regret that have it. I don’t use it a great deal, but there are times I’m really glad to have the versatility it offers. One way I have used mine is to smoke kosher salt and regular paprika with nothing in the main chamber. Lately I’ve been playing with smoking salt at the same time I’m cooking meat. Having a smoked beef or pork flavored salt to use in the kitchen has some interesting possibilities as soup and stew season rolls around.

The smokebox on the Bull gives you many more options for different temperatures when smoking or keeping food warm until the rest of the cook is done, it also makes the Bull look great, would I get it again YES.

I bought it with high expectations. They haven’t quite materialized but I am still glad I got it. Here are my 2 cents worth.
Unless you want to run the Bull at a fairly high temp the smoke box does not get very hot. So smoking a brisket in the main chamber means the box is not warm enough to cook say a mac n cheese. If you were to swap the 2 the PID doesn’t not control The temp of the box. You can keep it fairly stable but not like the main chamber.
I thought I would use it for jerky and it would work well for that but like I said you have to run the Bull at at least 300 degrees. The higher the temp you run the less smoke you produce which defeats the purpose. So I make jerky in the main chamber.
In my opinion it gives the grill a better look, it does add functionality but not as much as I had hoped. It is great as a warming box. Lots of possibilities there. It gives you another shelf. It would be great for cold smoking which is what they sell it as; I just somehow missed the word cold.
Would I buy it again if I knew what I know now. ???
Probably.
PS: what it does best is protect you from spilling the grease bucket when you cover and uncover your grill.

PS: what it does best is protect you from spilling the grease bucket when you cover and uncover your grill.

Now THERE is it’s main selling point! So frustrating when I forget to take that thing off and the cover bulldozes it off the hook!

But really, that was a great reply and super helpful. I don’t think it would be a good fit for me as I don’t “cold” smoke anything.

Once you smoke cheese you will be hooked. I have used it for Smoking salmon keeping the albumin from cooking out. I am looking forward to smoking jerky in the box. Smoked paprika turned out well. I have the comp cart and wish the box was bigger to be able to store the sear grates and top shelf accessory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back