RT 700 Cold Weather Cover

Mike Beaton

If you have the competition cart this cover is a waste of time and money. The tie down straps will not work with the competition cart. Also found the cover does not match or fit properly where it meets the pellet hopper causing the cover to bunch up and not fit as a custom designed cover should.
Returning this item to Rec Tec.

The insulation blanket works fine with mine. I did remove the bottom half of blanket where the straps are supposed to hook up.

Attachments

• 570D2EAA-34DD-4D39-B771-0061DF664068.jpeg
    570D2EAA-34DD-4D39-B771-0061DF664068.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 657
The insulation blanket works fine with mine...
Octavious, does that blanket go over the ends as well, or just the top? I'm thinking about saving some $$ and making a two layer cotton duck cover with a cotton quilt batt between layers (all stuff The Beloved has in her fabric stash - I checked when she wasn't looking).

I usually put the blanket on when air temps are in the low 20's
Yeah, looks there could be an Insulated Cold Weather Cover in our near future !
Since it hasn't snowed here yet, that's usually a sign of a very cold Winter

E-mailed RecTec on availability of their Blanket for the RT-700
"Any day now .... keep checking the Website"

Yeah, looks there could be an Insulated Cold Weather Cover in our near future !
Since it hasn't snowed here yet, that's usually a sign of a very cold Winter

E-mailed RecTec on availability of their Blanket for the RT-700
"Any day now .... keep checking the Website"
They are in stock

Octavious, does that blanket go over the ends as well, or just the top? I'm thinking about saving some $$ and making a two layer cotton duck cover with a cotton quilt batt between layers (all stuff The Beloved has in her fabric stash - I checked when she wasn't looking).

The cover on my 680 which I think is the same does not cover the ends, basically just the lid. It works well - I've had the smoker running with below freezing temps out.
I've seen a lot of people have good luck just using welding blankets instead of paying for the RT branded. I'm not that crafty and was in a hurry for mine.

If you have the competition cart this cover is a waste of time and money. The tie down straps will not work with the competition cart. Also found the cover does not match or fit properly where it meets the pellet hopper causing the cover to bunch up and not fit as a custom designed cover should.
Returning this item to Rec Tec.
Can you use this cold weather cover all year round? What it help temperatures get hotter in the summer? Would it create damage to the pellet grill leaving it on all summer?

Since they're back in stock, I ordered one and a Sear Kit this evening
We had our first snow last Sunday, so it's going to be needed sooner than I thought

Ordered mine, it will be here Monday. I live right off Lake Erie. The wind and cold definitely mess with the cooking temp & pellet consumption. I hope this helps.

Can you use this cold weather cover all year round? What it help temperatures get hotter in the summer? Would it create damage to the pellet grill leaving it on all summer?
I swear I remember seeing something in the packaging that sad not to use the cover in temps > 60F but it's possible I'm misremembering. Or maybe RecTec told me that? In either case, it seems like a bad idea to leave it on year round but I have no factual basis for that opinion.

Well, that is to bad. I do cheese and other cold smoked stuff in the winter and would like to keep minimal heat in the barrel. Warm smoked bacon in her the other day and it was -9 when I started and 0 when I finished.

Any idea why it was discontinued?

Well, that is to bad. I do cheese and other cold smoked stuff in the winter and would like to keep minimal heat in the barrel. Warm smoked bacon in her the other day and it was -9 when I started and 0 when I finished.

Any idea why it was discontinued?
I’ve never used a cover, but my understanding is they have the opposite effect-they keep maximum heat in the barrel.

I’d speculate they quit offering it because of lack of demand. Many grillers from cold weather climates just stop cooking outdoors in the winter.

I just need to be able to walk to it in crocs. I have shoveled a path to the grill in the past, but those days are behind me.

I looked into this b/c I do grill in the winter even if below zero. I just did some pulled pork and temps were around 0.

I believe the website says the cover is only rated up to 350 temps. Obviously if just smoking with your grill, that is fine. I typically only smoke with my Bull b/c I have a Bullseye however sometimes I do pizza(usually do pizza on my Bullseye though) and when I do wings, I turn up to 400 or so.

I opted and bought a welders blanket which go for around $20(could be more now) on Amazon. I cover the grill in very cold weather with the blanket which (Not from tests) I do does make a difference. This is the way I've heard a lot of folks go b/c it's cheaper and does just as good of a job.

I also have the Comp cart of the Bull and I wasn't even aware it won't tie down.

Good post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back